Izik and the "Evil Hands"

Status
Not open for further replies.

blazblu82

Hey all,

I need some advice about taming Izik. This past Sunday was the 2 week point since purchasing him. He seems to be really healthy and doing well, except during taming sessions. I am uncertain if what I have been doing is wrong or what. Basically, it starts with me having to chase him around his tank before getting ahold of him. Usually, once he is cupped into my hands, he's fine. I do not entice him treats, just water. I try to make this routine so he knows he is getting something out of it. Today, same routine, but he is different about it. Now, he opens his mouth when my hands get near. I have never hurt the guy. When he tries to escape, I do my best to prevent the escape. Other than that, when he is in my hands, I talk to him, stroke his head and back and let him drink.

When do this young ones grow out of their flight mode? I am afraid he is learning that getting picked up is a bad thing solely due to having to chase him anytime I want to hold him. I try my best to come at him from the sides, but he always freaks out. I am about to wrap his sleeping hide in a t-shirt to see if that helps calm him down.

Any other ideas? I do not want to offer him treats as he my rely on me for food rather than his dish.

Cheers

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there.

Seems like you are doing everything right, but I wouldn't chase him around the tank. You want to make slow movements. Move your hand into his tank, wait until he is calm, move it closer.

Eventually he will get used to your hand and not run from it. But being a baby, babies usually are much more skittish than adults.

The key is consistency. You gotta keep your handling consistent every day and eventually enough trust will be built up.

-Brandon

blazblu82

Original Poster
Ok, so I haven't handled him for a few day. However, I have been slowly approaching him with a hand until I can touch him. Then I try to stroke his beard or leg. He seems cool about the hand approaching slowly; his tail is not in an alert position and Izik himself is not setup to bolt off. He only seems to bolt when I try to touch him. I think it has been nearly a week since he has started threatening my hand with his mouth and I know it has been close to a week since I have held him. I feel like I have taken a major step backwards in trying to tame him. For a small while, he would let me pick him up, then all of a sudden, he changes a flips out.

I am uncertain if an adult would act this way, but I am thinking (again) about trading for an adult. Are the adults easier to tame than the young ones?

I do not know if I am trying to rush things or what; but I see others with young dragons (younger even) handling theirs w/o any behavior issues. He is not displaying his beard or puffing up, just opens his mouth and breathes hard when my hand gets too close. He does not bolt when I open his enclosure or do anything inside. Although, he does keep a close eye on my hands. I can't even recall if the guy has ever tasted my hand. I need to know what it is I am doing wrong so I can modify it. I don't want to end up with a dragon that is not tame and reacts to people like I have seen on Youtube.

I guess I'll resort to hand feeding him to win his trust. See what happens anyways.

Cheers.

FranktheTank

Gray-bearded Member
It's only been two weeks, you've got to be patient with him and give it some time. I worked with my female for a good month when I first got her. I went through the same type of routine, chasing her around her viv, her opening her mouth at me, and being a little skittish. First I placed an old t-shirt of mine in with her so she could get used to my scent, at first she didn't seem to interested but in a few days time she began to sleep with it! I worked with her by slowly moving my hands closer to her, when she got used to that I would gently touch her and pet her, when she got used to that I would pick her up for a bit all while petting her gently and tallking to her. Some beardies need a bit more work than others, it's a trust thing with them. I promise you if you stick it out and be a little patient the rewards are so worth it. My female is a little cuddle bug now. She's so sweet, get's so excited to see me, and always runs right to my hand when I'm in her cage. I can't get her off of me, or even to go back in to her cage now!! She's super chill and just hangs out and watches tv or whatever with me. Sometimes she even sleeps in my bed with me!! Please just give it some time I know it will get better!!

-Kaleen

blazblu82

Original Poster
I did put a tee-shirt in his enclosure under his sleeping hide. He took to sleeping on it the first night. Today, I noticed that he burrowed into the shirt. I hope it helps us out.

izzbo

Mine did the same thing when he was young and now he loves to be held. It will get better, just sick with it.

RandyMarsh

Sub-Adult Member
Best advice-
Your energy translates to your pets. If you're feeling nervous about handling your guy it's going to show to him and he's going to feel freaked out.
If you're NOT afraid, just solid and sure in your movements, you can just scoop them up at your leisure.

I have had my little one for a few weeks now. i also had to "chase" the first few weeks. everyone is right once you start making slow movements and doing the same thing every time he does start to claim down.
when I go to feed him I take everything out of the cage and than feed him a few crickets. Than I handle him and once he sits in my hand claim and relax and put him down and give him more crickets and I do that process over and over so that he gets a reward after being good.
I also give a warm bath after everything to keep him claim too and handle him so more. Doing that every day really seems to have help me.

Hope things work out, it takes time. I have had mine for 4 weeks now :)

TheDragonKeepers

Sub-Adult Member
Ah, you've hit the rebellion phase.
Most beardies go through an irrational period of throwing strops and being moody - persist with what YOU want to do and carry on as normal - they'll soon get over themselves.
Hyphen bearded and hissed at me and tried to hide when he hit eight months - but has turned into a sweet (if thick!) little guy.
Kyle black bearded me and tried to bite my finger when she hit that stage (about five months), but I had some dandelion handy - all she ended up with was a nice big mouthful of veggies.
Tsammy point blank refused to be picked up for about a week when he was about seven months old - again, I insisted and made sure he got nice treats when he complied.
Mocha went through about a month of bad attitude - she would have been about a year, but my partner wouldn't let her off with that temper. :)

As Randy says, stay cool, talk to them in a comforting tone and persist. Laugh gently at them (but try not to bare your teeth if they're very young - that can be scary) - they'll be offended that you're laughing at them, but again - they'll get over it! :D

Fuzzyviper

Hatchling Member
All I've got to add is to be careful if you try hand feeding to tame them. Malygos has become spoiled on hand feeding and now whenever I put my hand in the tank, he sticks his tongue out and tries to get my fingers. He thinks I always have food and he pinched my finger with his lips the other day by accident. He does get excited when I come over to the tank now but it's dangerous to put my hand in there! :lol: (Speaking of dangerous, his head hit me like a brick when he nipped me. They've got some powerful heads on them.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom