Its been a while...(petsmart rescue)

Status
Not open for further replies.

irwin'smom

Sub-Adult Member
These two girls were picked up from Petsmart this weekend. They were the saddest two in the bunch and if I had the money I would have bought all 5 but the other 3 looked a little better then these two, well they could hold there heads up and eyes open anyways. I am not to hopeful with one and I am pretty sure I will be getting a refund here pretty soon, unfortunately. I am however hopeful with the other one. They are being syringe fed at the moment.
The guy said he wished he could give them to me since he knew they were going to die but they would not allow it and I we had to buy them at full price. He also stated its store policy they can not feed them crix and only salad. Sad thing is, there was no salad :cry:

Here are the two baby girls..
The one on the left is now eating from the syringe pretty good but still no interest in real food. The one on the right I force feed. She has gotten a little more of a belly but this pic was taken just after the first soak as soon as they got home. She still could not lift her head or pick her body up.
2-2-09dragonstorts057.jpg

This is Rie the weakest one. She is now holding herself up and can bask but she still has sunken eyes and I do not have high hopes even though I am hoping. She falls off her branch every now and then.
2-2-09nanarierie021.jpg

This is NaNa she is doing really well with the syringe.
2-2-09nanarierie015.jpg

2-2-09dragonstorts067.jpg

2-2-09nanarierie003.jpg

2-2-09nanarierie002.jpg

2-2-09dragonstorts066.jpg

Judah'sHuman

Juvie Member
oh they are SO CUTE! I am glade you rescued them, so that even if they dont make it at least they will ahve a better life than what they have know thus far! All lil animals need loves and attention when in captivity. That makes me so angery to hear when pet store are not careing for their animals properly, that sounds very odd about the not feeding them crickets policy....HUH! WHAT! How do they expect them to survive? :angry5:

Am I just naive? I mean, where does Petsmart get all these Beardies? With the stringent export laws, the fact that breeding them isn't exactly easy, and all the websites I've visited "appear" to be run by caring, non-farming folks, I just didn't think that beardie milling was as epidemic as it is with cats and dogs. Is there some dark undergound I've never discovered because I'm not the type to look for it? I'm a noob, so please be gentle with your responses. My heart is huge and injures easily.
Jessie and Spot

irwin'smom

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
BarkAtTheMoon":92c83 said:
Am I just naive? I mean, where does Petsmart get all these Beardies? With the stringent export laws, the fact that breeding them isn't exactly easy, and all the websites I've visited "appear" to be run by caring, non-farming folks, I just didn't think that beardie milling was as epidemic as it is with cats and dogs. Is there some dark undergound I've never discovered because I'm not the type to look for it? I'm a noob, so please be gentle with your responses. My heart is huge and injures easily.
Jessie and Spot

Yes, there are beardie mills!!
They come from either big breeders, private breeders or beardie mills. Just like with everything there are good breeders and bad breeders.
Dragons are not allowed to be imported from Australia so they are from the lines here in the states.
Its pretty sad that breeders let them go this little knowing the trauma it will cause them.
Rie Rie died tonight so I picked out the next sad baby and brought her home. They all looked horrible so it was a hard choice. If I had a money tree then I would buy them all. I am hoping this one does well and Na Na the first one is hanging in there.
Judah'sHuman":92c83 said:
oh they are SO CUTE! I am glade you rescued them, so that even if they dont make it at least they will ahve a better life than what they have know thus far! All lil animals need loves and attention when in captivity. That makes me so angery to hear when pet store are not careing for their animals properly, that sounds very odd about the not feeding them crickets policy....HUH! WHAT! How do they expect them to survive? :angry5:

That is why I did it even knowing they were checking out. Every living thing deserves a chance no matter how slim it is.
Ethelia":92c83 said:
Oh the poor poor darlings.
Please keep us updated!
I will post pics of the new kid and NaNa tomorrow.
Thanks everyone!!

3cherries

Hatchling Member
This makes me so sad! :cry: and angry :angry5: .. I am glad however there are people like me in this world that have a huge heart to help innocent animals! :) I really hope the two you have now survive..... I always feel so guilty when I go to the pet store, cause I can't help but look at the reptiles and I want to buy them all!! too bad money doesn't grow on trees..

I can't stop thinking about you guys. I went to my Petsmart today to make sure there weren't any suffering Beardies there. There weren't. I want to help somehow. Is there any indication it may be parasites? I could take care of the charge (over the phone) for the fecal test if you could get it to the vet. If they have parasites, no amount of feeding is going to get them healed. My vet did our initial test without making me put Spot through the trauma of a vet visit. I just took them the "specimen" in a sandwich bag. He was negative. Let me know if there's anything I can do. Honestly.
Jessie and Spot

sunkist

Sub-Adult Member
I hate it when petsmarts don't follow policies. I have one that is just awful in town.

I'm sorry Rie passed but glad the other one is doing better.

irwin'smom

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
BarkAtTheMoon":9a48b said:
I can't stop thinking about you guys. I went to my Petsmart today to make sure there weren't any suffering Beardies there. There weren't. I want to help somehow. Is there any indication it may be parasites? I could take care of the charge (over the phone) for the fecal test if you could get it to the vet. If they have parasites, no amount of feeding is going to get them healed. My vet did our initial test without making me put Spot through the trauma of a vet visit. I just took them the "specimen" in a sandwich bag. He was negative. Let me know if there's anything I can do. Honestly.
Jessie and Spot

That is so sweet! They were treated already and doing well. The new kid Rerun and NaNa (named by my best friend) are doing well. NaNa will not eat on her own but she loves her critical care.lol Spoiled little fart.
They are really sweet and I have hopes these two will be just fine.
Here are some pictures.
Thanks everyone for the love :D
2-09frillcage031.jpg

2-5-09rierie2nana012.jpg

2-5-09rierie2nana024.jpg

2-5-09rierie2nana022.jpg

2-5-09rierie2nana028.jpg

3cherries

Hatchling Member
YAY! I'm glad these two are doing well and thanks for the update! You're an awesome beardie owner :laughing6:

JRyan

I am so sorry that those girls were treated so poorly, I actually work at a petsmart in Virginia and we are one of the best ones when it comes to treating sick animals. I want to rescue one from my work that probably wont get adopted out because he got mouth rot really badly, he's getting much better but will forever have scarring. Good job with them, really, I am so glad that they didnt stay where they were.

protiemama

Gray-bearded Member
The pict of them hanging on the edge of their tub is too cute. "We're ready to get out now Mom." :D Glad they are doing well. Sorry you lose the little one. :(

Sandy H

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom