Issues one of my dragons' has been having for 6 months now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boatss

Hello,

So I've had my bearded dragon Erin for a good year now, my brother couldn't take care of her anymore so I decided to take care of her instead of giving her away. For the first 6 months everything was fine but after that the issues started surfacing.

At the start she didn't want to poop for a good 2+ weeks, I assumed it might've been an impaction so I did everything I could to relieve her of the impaction myself, none of that worked (trying natural laxative foods, warm baths, belly rubbing, etc..) and I had no money for the vet so all I could do was wait. Once she finally went to the bathroom it was really massive and disgusting, and sadly that seemed to become a routine. I'm unsure if impactions work in a way where it stops them from going to the bathroom for the rest of their life so I assumed it wasn't an impaction. To this day she still doesn't poop until about 2-3 weeks later, while my other dragon goes just fine every day or so.

Now the most unusual issue I've been having is putting her in the bathtub, she really liked it before but suddenly started closing her eyes completely and letting her head lay down, her head was covered in water so I held it up with my finger so she wouldn't drown, and I can't tell if she's trying to play dead, or just falling asleep/relaxing but it really scared me so I try to only bathe her when she's shedding. My other bearded dragon does sometimes fall asleep in the bathtub but he doesn't put his head under the water, and I don't think she's drinking the water either because she's completely still like she's trying to play dead.

At this point I'm unsure of what to do, I unfortunately cannot afford vet bills as we're getting a new house right now and the pandemic going on so money is insanely tight. I feed her twice everyday, about 80% veggies and the rest gut-loaded insects, sometimes fruits every once a week (like blueberries or strawberries), along with misting the veggies with water every now-and-then. My other bearded dragon that I raised myself is in the same feeding habit and everything and he's perfectly healthy (apart from being an insanely picky eater with his veggies) so I'm not sure what's wrong with Erin.

I should also mention that for the past week we haven't had a UV light for Erin because it burned out, money tight, etc.. So we've been giving her window time by putting her terrarium at the window were the sun shines, I'm unsure if that's good enough but I can't really get another UV light until the end of this month unfortunately.

If anyone has any insight on what the problems may be I'm all ears, although my brother will be taking her back when he's able to I still want to hopefully try to solve these issues before he gets her back.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
She needs more hydration and you can do that by rinsing her veggies every time you feed them which should be every day --- she will get moisture thru them - that will push the poop thru and start feeding her shredded raw sweet potato that should keep her regular or close to it -- the UVB what are you using for a bulb? Bulbs if its a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 is $20 --
I would get her outside for UVB the window is not good enough its is filtering out most of those rays - full sunlight for 15 minutes every day or every other will help do not leave her out by herself - --- it will also help w/ the pooping --
Karrie

esieber06

My beardie only goes about once a month also (I just posted about this yeaterday) I am spritzing her salads with water before feeding her, but she very rarely eats her salad so there is that. She does get to soak in the tub, but that doesn't seem to help with pooping either. She has been on the schedule for a really long time, so i think it is just her. I do try to encourage her to go though, and she is definitely not compacted.

Boatss

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2y7tagud said:
She needs more hydration and you can do that by rinsing her veggies every time you feed them which should be every day --- she will get moisture thru them - that will push the poop thru and start feeding her shredded raw sweet potato that should keep her regular or close to it -- the UVB what are you using for a bulb? Bulbs if its a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 is $20 --
I would get her outside for UVB the window is not good enough its is filtering out most of those rays - full sunlight for 15 minutes every day or every other will help do not leave her out by herself - --- it will also help w/ the pooping --
Karrie

Interesting, yeah I'll for sure try putting water on her veggies everyday, I didn't do it frequently cause I was unsure if it was a good idea to give them so much water.

I heard somewhere online the window does block UV so we open it for a couple hours before closing it, but we definitely need to get a real UV light back in there. We had a light we got from the zoo-med bundle with her light fixtures and stuff, it just eventually went out not too long ago and the ones they sell at petsmart are a good $40 (and we need to get another for the other dragon cause we feel like that bulb might go out soon as well), if you have any online you can recommend I'm all for a better price for the same quality.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I need to know what your using www.pangeareptiles.com sells T 5's Reptisuns for $20 and they are fast and good about getting orders out- they ship FedEx-- UVB's need to be replaced either every 6 months for T 8's or once year for T'5's they should never be allowed to blow out -- unless they are defective which does happen-- shipping is $6-or 7 -- so you can get 2 for $46
Karrie

Boatss

Original Poster
KarrieRee":hoyepeco said:
I need to know what your using http://www.pangeareptiles.com sells T 5's Reptisuns for $20 and they are fast and good about getting orders out- they ship FedEx-- UVB's need to be replaced either every 6 months for T 8's or once year for T'5's they should never be allowed to blow out -- unless they are defective which does happen-- shipping is $6-or 7 -- so you can get 2 for $46
Karrie

Yeah I think it blew out because the light fixture is defective. When I turn it on I can hear a grainy sound like there's little broken pieces in the switch and the switch gets insanely hot in just a minute. The UV light itself is called "Reptisun 5.0 UVB", when we got it they said to replace it yearly.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The 5.0 is equivalent to a T 8 and needs to be replaced every 6 months-- the T 5 is yearly- replace the fixture ASAP- get a 10.0 T 5 bulb better strength
Karrie

jdspdx

My two beardies were both dehydrated for awhile. Soaking did not help. Some beardies will drink bath water, mine did not. I have had success with the strategy of dripping water on their snout. It does require some patience. It is now a routine. I just dip my fingertip in a cup of water and dab it on top of their snout. After the first few drops running down their neck they catch on and start lapping it up. When they close their eyes or turn away I know they have had enough. If you have the time and patience it is fun and satisfying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom