Issue with Dubia roach bin!! Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the past month or so i have had this issue with my roach bin. I feed them squash (grinded all together of course) fish food and a orange everyday. The problem is that all of a sudden the bottom of the container is all wet and smells horrible. Parts of the egg flats are soggy at the bottom of them. I have cleaned this container twice in the past month but it still stinks and all. Today i found 3 dead adults and a bunch (like 10) baby roaches dead laying in this gross stuff. I'm guessing the smell and all the watery stuff is from either the oranges or squash. I never had this problem until i switched them over to this bigger bin so I'm a bit confused as to why its doing this.

Anyone have a any ideas or suggestions??

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
How is your heat and ventilation set up? How do you offer food and water?
How long was the squash left in?

Realistically you want your crates to always stay dry. When my bin gots soggy (the roaches do some stupid stuff) I clean everything out and out in fresh crates.

Patriotsfan

Original Poster
Taterbug":1uniqy07 said:
How is your heat and ventilation set up? How do you offer food and water?
How long was the squash left in?

Realistically you want your crates to always stay dry. When my bin gots soggy (the roaches do some stupid stuff) I clean everything out and out in fresh crates.

Heat is at 83.8 as of right now. There are holes poked in the top of the bin for ventilation. squash, oranges and water are all on a small plate. The plates are thrown away every day and replaced with new when i feed them. Fish food is just thrown in around the food. I do use new egg flats each time i clean it.

Soulwind

Sub-Adult Member
Are you getting any condensation?

If it's just holes poked in the lid, you may not be letting enough humidity
from all that wet stuff escape properly.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Yeah it sound alike they need more airflow. I use a full screen lid - I've found that anything less gets too much moisture. The bugs themselves put out quite a surprising amount, and all that wet food won't be helping.

If you have a plastic tote - just cut out most of the material leaving the outer edge of the lid intact and add some window screen (aluminum if possible). It can be taped (duct or aluminum works for me) or hot glued.

Soulwind":32lq8wog said:
Are you getting any condensation?

If it's just holes poked in the lid, you may not be letting enough humidity
from all that wet stuff escape properly.

Cut a hole and glue some screen in there. I ran into this same issue with crickets when I first started keeping them in bulk and it was horrid with just holes. Once I added a screen, it worked a ton better!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom