Isopod sudden death - what could possibly have caused this?

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Today I lost 6 of my isopods to unknown causes, I’d like to shed some light on as to why they passed? And so suddenly?
1694908506174.jpeg

I lost two dairy cows, a calico (I’m really disappointed about this one) and three wild types/common morphs.

Their housing is perfect, they didn’t die of starvation as I put some fresh fruit in only yesterday. I don’t think they were eaten alive (although they were after passing, isopods only eat other deceased organisms.)

They were also of varying ages, mostly juveniles though. One mature adult. There is no contact with bacteria or pests at all, my soil is organic and I soaked my logs in vinegar and boiling water prior to putting it in.

Anyone know what’s wrong?

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
i have absolutely no reference at all, but a couple of those remind me of how shed skins (shells???) look from our roaches. is that a possibility?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I've kept them in the past but when I noticed some looking like that I thought what hdochow thought, that it was shed. Other than that I don't know. If you find an insect forum or search this on Google maybe you'll get more definite answers. Here's one short youtube video :

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
i have absolutely no reference at all, but a couple of those remind me of how shed skins (shells???) look from our roaches. is that a possibility?
Not quite, the shells are white when they moult and stay that way until they decompose. Here is a picture:
1694953889576.jpeg

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
I've kept them in the past but when I noticed some looking like that I thought what hdochow thought, that it was shed. Other than that I don't know. If you find an insect forum or search this on Google maybe you'll get more definite answers. Here's one short youtube video :

It isn’t shed unfortunately, when isopods moly their shells turn white or blue/purple depending on the morph. My collection of dead ones there are their natural colours.

I’ll try and find an insect forum, that’s a good idea. I do believe I came across one similar to this while I was researching about rhinoceros beetles (I found one outside).

Thanks!

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
An isopod forum mentions that they might need more space, protein or calcium , possibly fish flakes or something.

https://www.reddit.com/r/isopods/comments/12m7lj1
More space… that could actually be it! I have them in a 12”L x 8” W x 8” D Tupperware container with 3” of top soil substrate to burrow into…

Considering I’ve had my colony up for half a year already I do think it could be time to upgrade!

The morphs I have are VERY prolific and I have maybe a dozen-two dozen gravid females at a time. They can lay 200+ eggs at a time, no wonder it’s overpopulated!

Calicos I notice are much less prolific, I’ve only had one gravid since the day I started my colony which is why I was so disappointed about one’s’ death.

As for fish flakes, I’ve been using them but I only recently ran out. I’m going back to the store very soon, in the meantime Im feeding them Leo’s shed, eggshells and fruit.

Thanks!

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I'm sorry you had die offs, but this is an interesting thread.
Do you feed them to your boy or is keeping them just a hobby?

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
I'm sorry you had die offs, but this is an interesting thread.
Do you feed them to your boy or is keeping them just a hobby?
I keep isopod culture as a hobby, I have for a few months (6-8) now. I’m not sure if beardies can eat isopods, I’ve never thought of it… I personally wouldn’t take the risk.

They can carry mites, or viruses (such as iridovirus) and I don’t want him to get sick from that, most of mine are wild caught but I wouldn’t even feed him store bought pods.

I agree, it’s unfortunate to have so many die off. Especially a calico, I don’t have many of those and the only morphs in shop at the moment are dairy cows and orange powders.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
The lady i got Sinatra from said she gave them to the beardies, but i was hesitant about it also.
She sent me a few of a few different morphs but i think it was to cold, they all died getting here.

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
The lady i got Sinatra from said she gave them to the beardies, but i was hesitant about it also.
She sent me a few of a few different morphs but i think it was to cold, they all died getting here.
Oh, that’s so sad 😞 I found the body of my absolute favourite morph (I only had one of them) earlier today, I can’t even voice my disappointment about that.

Do you remember what colours/patterns they had? I could probably ID them for you

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I don't, I've had him for almost a year now...... WOW after i wrote that it sank in. Seems like i got him just a few days ago.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom