IS URI contagious?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sauzo

Sub-Adult Member
My question is if I handled a reptile with URI and I washed my hands, can my reptiles gets get URI from my clothing? I'm worried because I handled a lizard with URI and it was sitting on me and when I got home, I washed my hands and stuff and then plopped down on the couch with the same clothing on that the URI lizard was sitting/crawling on me in. And is URI transferable from snakes to lizards and vis versa as I have a dragon and a red tail boa. Also forgot to mention but the lizard in question with URI is not guaranteed, there is no mucous or anything like that, just clicking noises sometimes but I'm looking at a worst case scenario.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Depending on the "URI" technically yes. Viral infection and some bacterial and fungal infections have varying degrees if contagiousness. Some "RI" however can be more like irritation - from too low humidity, stress or allergies. Just like with humans URI tends to need some sort of immune compromise in the sick animal to take serious hold. Usually it starts with some husbandry problem, but not always.

I wouldn't worry too much, but I'd keep an eye out for symptoms and make sure temps/humidity are appropriate.

Sauzo

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Ok thanks. I'll bump up both my guys' temps a little and maybe get some Reptaid as a preventative just in case. I know, I'm paranoid :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom