Is this what black beard looks like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
28vywix.jpg

Is this the black beard i always hear about? I always assumed it would be a very obvious black beard but this you can only really tell when looking at him from a back angle. From the front you can't see any black.

I've read so many things about this ranging from it meaning he wants attention all the way to he's sick and needs to see a vet. Obviously that kind of description of a black beard does nothing for anyone.

Anyone that can tell me if he looks okay?
I think he's just coming out of brumation. It lasted a couple of months and he still goes to sleep extremely early and sleeps in and barely eats anything.

He hasn't eaten a cricket in probably a week now. I got superworms and he ate a couple of those but i know he probably shouldn't be eating them yet at his age (about 11 months). Also got him phoenix worms which i was excited about because i know they're good for him and he goes crazy over wax worms but he refuses to even try those.

Thanks in advance.

Rampagingraptor

Sub-Adult Member
*Australian accent* That's not a black beard.
This is a black beard!
gizmo006.jpg

(Sorry, couldn't resist)
But yeah, that isn't really a black beard black beard. Its kinda like the black marks that beardies get on their stomach. It probably means nothing, but you can always get him checked up if you are worried about him.
I wouldn't worry so much about feeding him the super worms now, cause once they hit 16 inches its perfectly fine to feed them to your beardie. I wouldn't feed them exclusively as they aren't that great of a feeder, but you can still feed them.
Are you keeping track of his weight? You should try to do that if he isn't eating as much to make sure that he is alright. Are you giving him any veggies? He is getting around the age where you want to switch his diet more towards veggies.
If you have any other info or questions, feel free to mention them.

nickanthony

Original Poster
Lol well that's a relief. Unfortunately i haven't weighed him. Is the only way to weigh them to get one of those drug dealer scales that weighs like grams and ounces?

Last i measured him he was 18.5" and that was a couple months ago so i guess he's good with the superworms. Also, yeah he eats greens. Mainly mustard and collard greens. What troubles me is that he went from eating roughly 50-60 crickets a day plus greens to eating zero crickets a day and maybe the same amount of greens. How can he possibly survive like that? I need to weigh him because he's got to be losing weight.

Rampagingraptor

Sub-Adult Member
If he is still eating his greens, I wouldn't worry as much. Still weigh him to make sure, but part of the reason they eat so many bugs the first year is cause they are still growing. Maybe he is just settling into a more constant length/weight now. I would still keep track of his weight daily, though, to make sure that it stays relatively constant.
I use one of the food ones I got off Amazon, but I suppose you could use one of those "Drug dealer" ones, as long as its accurate. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom