IS THIS RIGHT?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Beardienatic":6j6ibiwn said:
Sorry, I keep thinking of more questions to ask!
How often are bearded dragons (adults) expected to have a bowel movement? I know it can be a pretty wide range, but a rough estimate?
How many insects (medium crickets/silkworms) do bearded dragons (adults) eat per day? Again, I know it can be a pretty wide range depending on the individual, but a rough estimate?

Is this a good feeding schedule for an adult beardie?

MONDAY: Bok Choy, Capsicum, Green beans
TUESDAY: Cucumber, Endive, Butternut
WEDNESDAY: Bok Choy, Kale, Snow peas
THURSDAY: Carrot, Capsicum, Apple
FRIDAY: Cucumber, Green beans, Butternut
SATURDAY: Bok Choy, Endive, Snow peas
SUNDAY: Carrot, Endive, Pear

MONDAY: crickets
TUESDAY: crickets
WEDNESDAY: silkworms
THURSDAY: crickets
FRIDAY:silkworms
SATURDAY: crickets
SUNDAY: silkworms

***OR***

MONDAY: crickets & silkworms
TUESDAY: crickets & silkworms
WEDNESDAY: crickets & silkworms
THURSDAY: crickets & silkworms
FRIDAY: crickets & silkworms
SATURDAY: crickets & silkworms
SUNDAY: crickets & silkworms

Looks OK to me. Except the cucumber. Superworms are OK in the mix too , mine get them as treats, and more occasionally , mealworm lavae, pupae and beetles (they love the pupae and beetles).

My two 3 year old beardies are handfed their insects and greens , because I enjoy it and they enjoy it , and eat 12 - 14 med to large crickets each per day.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
You're welcome , I found a lot of the stuff said by some experts on local forums was dodgey / wrong or misleading so I did a lot of my own research and widened my sources of information regarding skink and beardie car.
This board is much better than the local one which is really just run to advertise the board owners breeding business and his reptile gear business. Which seems only to have about a dozen regular posters.

If you buy a hatchling , it'll need appropriate sized feeder insects (no longer than the space between it's eyes , the exception is silkworms who are very soft).
And I'd suggest rearing it in a 100L storage tub (with wheels and lid) with clear sides (they like seeing what's going on around them I've found) for it's first 6- 9 months (or until it's clearly grown out of it) - that's what I did , my tubs came from Bunnings and I simply got busy with a hot electric soldering iron to put maybe 100 holes up high on one end and down low on the other.
I hung a reflector dome style socket with a UVB200 and another with small spotty to give a warm enough basking spot , both from under the lid . I stacked my 2 tubs.

The advantage is that the little beardie wont be overwhelmed by suddenly going from a crowded hatchery enclosure to a full sized 4'x2' enclosure (which will be a very stressful experience for it anyway, and will only make the change in it's living arrangements and circumstances more confusing and scary and stressful, and if you decide to feed the hatchie it's insects in the enclosure, a smaller enclosure means it wont have as much trouble catching it's insects and wont loose as many .
I'd only put a few insects at time in with the hatchie so it's not confused and overwhelmed by insects scurrying in all directions.
A hatchling will require at least 2 meals of insects per day.

I believe there are some very good reptile vets in Melbourne , I would find our who they are before you get your little spikey cat-dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dobby2012
Top Bottom