Is this okay? (Pic of Helis marks)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfysluv

Hatchling Member
I just have to put my mind at peace. Heli shows these marks (stress marks?) on his underside ALL of the time "except" when in a really warm bath or snuggled up close to hang out with me. Someone asked me to post a pic last week when I brought up the subject. I saw a few people state that their dragons often show them sometimes for no apparent reason. But most people say their bellys should be white.

He seems to be stunningly healthy, growing a bit bigger than average, but does get constipated occasionally (I have to watch that and prevent him from binding).. speaking of which is it okay if he only goes 2x a week? I try to make him every two-3 days.

Set up: 40 gallon, repitsun 10.0 (4 months old) placed 8 inches away, zoomed basking 100 watt, temp basking 100-105, temp warm side 80-85,

helisstress.jpg

He looks like a little king doesnt he? I almost named him Rohan The Red. Didn't roll off my tongue when I talked to him. So now he's more menacing. "Helius Incendus Maximus". Grr. LOL. In the end, I guess something like Oscar was more fitting.

ElGuapo

hmm...mine seem to have pattern markings on their belly. As my older one is growing, the pattern seems not to be a noticeable, but my younger, smaller one still has them. So i will be watching out for replies.

IzzyTony

Hatchling Member
My izzy is almost 2 years old and he has these on his belly too. I dont know if they are what people refer to as stress marks or just patterns? Izzies dont look like they are that colour due to stress. More that they are a pattern. I dunno. Maybe someone with more experience can shed more light.

Tony

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
IzzyTony":3cxwt4ha said:
My izzy is almost 2 years old and he has these on his belly too. I dont know if they are what people refer to as stress marks or just patterns? Izzies dont look like they are that colour due to stress. More that they are a pattern. I dunno. Maybe someone with more experience can shed more light.

Tony

Yes, they are stress marks.

-Brandon

IzzyTony

Hatchling Member
claudiusx":2pl424hy said:
IzzyTony":2pl424hy said:

Tony

Yes, they are stress marks.

-Brandon

Well that's as maybe, But my guy has had them since he was a juvie and always seems happy enough, I searched google last night and it seems that many happy BD's have them all their lives.

Edit*

just checked and he has 10-12 scattered around his belly in a very uniformed pattern. Who'da thought "stress" would cause such a pretty pattern? :banghead:

Tony

Colesdad

Maybe not quite as dark, but little (8 weeks) has them too . Like you, I check and double check temps, lights, cage for bugs or dirt or crap, injuries etc. He seems to have them 90 of the time while in his home. When we hold him he brightens to an olive green and has a "lighter colored" belly. My wife and I searched the whole stress mark/pattern mark thing online and we just accepted the fact that he may just have them because that's just a part of his markings/colorings. We dust his food correctly, he eats like a monster and craps everyday. I'm kinda rambling on, but your dragon "might" but just fine.
I am just a rookie at this and I am certainly very curious at more experienced people replies

wolfysluv

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
In my gut, I believe he is fine. It just doesnt' make sense to me that they would be caused by something wrong with him if they are there in the best of environments (in his perfectly set enclosure and in a quiet room by himself), and then when I hold him or when he's in the tub they are gone. That bothers me a little. Anyway, it should be the opposite if they are truly being caused by "stress". I'm starting to think like you, that its just "him". The day I should worry I guess is if they get really, really dark and just dont go away or show their typical presentation. I'm beginning to think "stress markings" are overstated. That the real red flag would be if they show up in abnormal ways for that specific dragon. They could also not always mean "stress" per say. Just color/marking changes with moods and other factors.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Him having stress marks in his tank and not in the bath could be because there is something or somethings in his tank that he doesn't like. Whether it be its too clutered, too hot, not warm enough, bad uvb, bad basking bulb or what, there is something causing the stress marks.

I'm not saying that stress marks are this horrible thing that you need to try with all your might to get rid of. Some dragons really do get stressed out at the simplest of things, but it isn't just part of their patterns. If they are stressed they will show it, if they aren't they won't show the signs.

-Brandon

ElGuapo

I feel bad i didn't notice my boys were stressed. I will definitely pay close attention to see what is causing them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom