Is this OKAY for a basking bulb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haku3

Hi all-

I recently upgraded Haku's (my sleeping 'rock' atm haha) tank to the exo terra 36x18x18 terrarium. And I needed new basking bulbs to keep the temps above 60°F throughout the day because my house gets really cold here. So, I was looking and saw that we can use floodlights for basking bulbs and they are SOO much cheaper than the name brand basking bulbs! I've been searching and saw these:

http://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-Lighting-120-volt-Indoor-6-Pack/dp/B002JH0YOY

Would these floodlights be good for my new tank and more importantly are they safe for Haku?

Thanks,
Amber

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
I'm using 2 zoomed 75 W basking bulbs, which is keeping the basking temperature at around 100F. Sometimes Mystic moves over to the cooler side, which is also a Exoterra 36x18x18 tank. At night I might turn on the Che to keep him warm. I'm in Maryland, which has been warm until today, getting colder here. I have a probe thermometer and a temperature gun, just to make sure all is good. Sometimes he likes it a little cooler.

Haku3

Original Poster
Terry15-

First off, I LOVE your beardie's name!

I usually buy the zoo med basking bulbs. However, I have always had bad luck with them. They always burn out within a month or two for me and they arn't cheap! (I suspect it's my cat, Jinx, always fiddling with the wires when I'm gone haha) I'm only 18, and pay for everything Haku needs.

If I can use these floodlights it'd be amazing. Especially since Haku seems to be losing a bit of weight...which has me worried. I am planning on bringing him to the vet soon, so the extra cash would be great.

Cheers,
Amber

Haku3

Original Poster
Cooperdragon-

Oh wow, those are cheap haha! Let me know how they work out if you do decide to try them.

I'm pretty sure I know of a farm store around where I live I can go check out. I have never even thought to look there and I've had to use them on my chickens when I had them!

Also, I will definitely use your suggestions about the wattage/BR thing.. you seem to know what you are talking about, unlike me.

Thanks a bunch,
Amber

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
Hi Amber, I love your beardies name too. Mystic is my nieces' dragon, which I have been taking care of. I would like to get some cheaper bulbs also, but don't really know what to get for the dual mini dome fixture.

Haku3

Original Poster
Terry15-

I have those same fixtures, if I find out something that works for them I'll let you know. :)

Mystic is such a cutie!

Cheers,
Amber

Haku3

Original Poster
Terry15-

I just bought one of those hammocks for Haku. How does Mystic like his? I'm hoping Haku will use it, he is not an avid climber!

83683-3263101992.jpg

This was Haku before I went to work, noticed he was half awake and gave him a few minutes of love before I left. (That IS a moose stuffy behind him..he loves his stuffys!)

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
Those hammocks are not really recommended because their toes or nails can get caught while jumping off. Mystic has a fabric one also. He does not use it as much as he used to. The fabric one is better.
83443-9715484026.jpg

Haku3

Original Poster
Terry15-

Oh that's a bummer..I did not know that. Maybe I can cover it with something so that does not happen...I'm thinking duct tape with a pattern on it? Would that be okay? Usually I am pretty good with keeping his nails trimmed but I would hate for him to hurt one of his toes/nails..he is already permanently missing two, due to a stuck shed (He was not properly taken care of by my dad while I was away on vacation :( ..was not very happy to come home to two infected toes).

Aww, how cute! Mystic looks so cozy on that bear stuffy! Haku's favorite stuffy was this really floppy purple dragon but I had to wash it when I was treating him for pinworms, mom ended up throwing it out by mistake. He used to always sleep on it at night.. but he has his moose holding a Cola now!

83683-2664737632.jpg

This was when he had it in his old tank (I do not know how to make it right-side up, Sorry!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom