Is this normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonov

Hatchling Member
Hi, I got a beardie last thursday that according to the previous owner is about to lay eggs. I provided her with a thick layer of playsand to dig in because of that, and she has dug a hole but has done nothing but lay and sleep in it. Is that normal? I am starting to get worried, because she hasn't pooped yet and also doesn't dig anymore, she just lays and sleeps in the hole she dug. She does open her eyes when I bug her, but that's about it. Here's a pic of the hole she dug and how she lays in there. She did eat about 6 Dubia roaches yesterday, before she went back in her hole. Does anyone know if this is normal "before egg laying" behavior or am I dealing with something else?

paulsmom06

I have a boy dragon so I am not much help when it comes to eggs, however, my guy does that gaping thing even when he's not basking like your girl is doing. I am getting ready to have him checked out for a respiratory infection. He even does the eyes half open like your baby is. I will let you know what my vet says.

dragonov

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
ok, I took her out of her cave and gave her two baths and she finally pooed today and she also ate again, so I think she's alright then. She's really restless and not digging anymore though, but I'll keep an eye on her egg laying progress.

This one can be closed as solved.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
You could get on the breeding discussion, check it out and post questions regarding the laying of eggs. There are several people on here that have more knowledge than I do. The only experience I have with laying of eggs is with Rosie. This last year, sometime late spring and during the summer, it was two one day, one another day a week or so later than two another week then, ... well you get the idea. The year before she laid 22 eggs at one sitting, in our bed, when I didn't even know she was going to lay eggs. That year was our first experience with eggs. My husband came out of the bedroom and asked me "now what do we do with these?" Thanks to this site I was aware of the fact that Rosie was the first female beardie we've had (out of the now 7 girls, Lil Squirt is now about 6.5 months old) that laid eggs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom