Is this normal for a baby beardie to sleep like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Courtney.ellen

Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
My 3 month old bearded dragon either sleeps in the corner standing up on the glass or up in his plant. I can see why he would go there to sleep high up but I don't understand why he sleeps in the corner standing up on the glass. Is this normal? Should I be worried? I have attached a picture below.

Attachments

• Snapchat-540084427.jpg
    Snapchat-540084427.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 154

Courtney.ellen

Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Dial back the aggression miss my comment was meant I found his sleeping position funny. If you are gonna immediately jump down peoples throats you are not going to find many people forthcoming with

Dial back the aggression miss my comment was meant I found his sleeping position funny. If you are gonna immediately jump down peoples throats you are not going to find many people forthcoming with help!
I must have misunderstood your comment and I do apologize but I was just looking for answers. I would appreciate any insight you have on my baby beardies funny sleeping position.

Badwolfe

Hatchling Member
I must have misunderstood your comment and I do apologize but I was just looking for answers. I would appreciate any insight you have on my baby beardies funny sleeping position.
ok can you take a pic of his enclosure so we can make sure he's not too hot or anything else in there is causing him to press himself into the corner like this. Can you tell us his basking temperature and the temperature of the warm and cool ends of the viv as well please

Courtney.ellen

Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
This picture was taken when his lights were off. I keep my house 70 degrees at night and make sure that his viv temp does not drop below that. During the day I keep the cool side at 75 an ambient temp of 80-83 and his basking spot about 108 at the hottest spot. I will attach a picture below. I would appreciate any advice you can give me about my setup! Thank you!!

Attachments

• 20220118_090142.jpg
    20220118_090142.jpg
    299 KB · Views: 110

Badwolfe

Hatchling Member
Ok I take it that you have the proper UV lighting for the tank (not a coil bulb)?

First off I would try to get the cooler side up to around 80 degree's during the day. The basking spot is fine around 105-110 and it sounds like the ambient night time temperature is fine too.

Baby Beardies do like a lot of security when they are small because they are particularly prone to predation when smaller. You might want to try covering the ends of the viv as well with something to give your baby a more enclosed feel to his surroundings. Being able to see out in all directions can sometimes stress them.

I would also put something in the cooler end of the viv for your baby to hide in / under so that he has the options for hiding in the full temperature range of his vivarium.

Finally if the substrate in your viv is just sand I would recommend you mix in some organic topsoil that is fertilizer free as pure sand is not suitable for dragons, especially babies. A 50 / 50 soil / sand ratio is fine if you want to keep your baby on loose substrate (I keep mine on loose) as they like digging and will often hollow out a small pit to sleep in.

It may just be that your baby needs to feel a bit more secure in his tank and a few more hides / branches should achieve this. He probably gets the feeling of security from squashing himself in the corner like he has.

Hope that helps

Courtney.ellen

Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Ok I take it that you have the proper UV lighting for the tank (not a coil bulb)?

First off I would try to get the cooler side up to around 80 degree's during the day. The basking spot is fine around 105-110 and it sounds like the ambient night time temperature is fine too.

Baby Beardies do like a lot of security when they are small because they are particularly prone to predation when smaller. You might want to try covering the ends of the viv as well with something to give your baby a more enclosed feel to his surroundings. Being able to see out in all directions can sometimes stress them.

I would also put something in the cooler end of the viv for your baby to hide in / under so that he has the options for hiding in the full temperature range of his vivarium.

Finally if the substrate in your viv is just sand I would recommend you mix in some organic topsoil that is fertilizer free as pure sand is not suitable for dragons, especially babies. A 50 / 50 soil / sand ratio is fine if you want to keep your baby on loose substrate (I keep mine on loose) as they like digging and will often hollow out a small pit to sleep in.

It may just be that your baby needs to feel a bit more secure in his tank and a few more hides / branches should achieve this. He probably gets the feeling of security from squashing himself in the corner like he has.

Hope that helps
Thank you that helps a lot! When I got him from the pet store they gave me a starter "setup". Knowing what I know now I should have just bought my own stuff. I feel his enclosure is too small even though he is small himself. I should have at least got a 20 gallon tank to start. This setup also included a coil uv bulb and a heat mat. I asked them what about a heat bulb? And their answer was that babies don't need it and the heat mat would be enough. After I got him home for a few days I learned that this was sadly mistaken! I got him a heat bulb with adjustable stand plus a dimmer so I can really control all of the temps in his viv. I am working on upgrading his tank and when I do I am going to get him a linear t5 bulb. I also really liked your suggestion of putting a hide in his cool side and covering up the other 2 sides of the tank. I'm going to try this for sure! I am also going to try mixing the substrate as you suggested because I also saw that in my research. I really appreciate your time and knowledge in helping me!

Badwolfe

Hatchling Member
Thank you that helps a lot! When I got him from the pet store they gave me a starter "setup". Knowing what I know now I should have just bought my own stuff. I feel his enclosure is too small even though he is small himself. I should have at least got a 20 gallon tank to start. This setup also included a coil uv bulb and a heat mat. I asked them what about a heat bulb? And their answer was that babies don't need it and the heat mat would be enough. After I got him home for a few days I learned that this was sadly mistaken! I got him a heat bulb with adjustable stand plus a dimmer so I can really control all of the temps in his viv. I am working on upgrading his tank and when I do I am going to get him a linear t5 bulb. I also really liked your suggestion of putting a hide in his cool side and covering up the other 2 sides of the tank. I'm going to try this for sure! I am also going to try mixing the substrate as you suggested because I also saw that in my research. I really appreciate your time and knowledge in helping me!
You're more than welcome.

Yes its amazing how many pet stores have absolutely no idea how to care for the animals they are selling and happily give advice that can ultimately end up as fatal to your pet. This isn't every pet store but its a significant number.

The best thing any dragon owner can do is read up on everything and educate themselves rather than just parroting something they have been told and don't actually understand.

Getting your baby into a bigger enclosure will be good for him and its good you're taking the time to correct the bad advice you were given at the start

Last edited:

Courtney.ellen

Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
You're more than welcome.

Yes its amazing how many pet stores have absolutely no idea how to care for the animals they are selling and happily give advice that can ultimately end up as fatal to your pet. This isn't every pet store but its a significant number.

The best thing any dragon owner can do it read up on everything and educate tjemselves rather than just parroting something they have been told and don't actually understand.

Getting your baby into a bigger enclosure will be good for him and its good you're taking the time to correct the bad advice you were given at the start
Thank you! I was honestly shocked at all of the wrong stuff they told me and seeing the babies that are still at the store is so sad 😞 my little guy is filled out and stands with his head up high and the babies that are still there look like they are on the verge of death! Its hard to believe they are the same age. They also gave me 2 different vitamin supplements and said one was the calcium! I have also had to change those that I originally bought there. Look at my guy on the left compared to the ones at the pet store still.. breaks my heart!! Once again I really appreciate all if your help!

Attachments

• Snapchat-113957011.jpg
    Snapchat-113957011.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 103
  • Snapchat-1566303064.jpg
    Snapchat-1566303064.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 107

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My 3 month old bearded dragon either sleeps in the corner standing up on the glass or up in his plant. I can see why he would go there to sleep high up but I don't understand why he sleeps in the corner standing up on the glass. Is this normal? Should I be worried? I have attached a picture below.
Yep my little one when I got him slept in his cactus -- believe me he could not do that now

Badwolfe

Hatchling Member
Thank you! I was honestly shocked at all of the wrong stuff they told me and seeing the babies that are still at the store is so sad 😞 my little guy is filled out and stands with his head up high and the babies that are still there look like they are on the verge of death! Its hard to believe they are the same age. They also gave me 2 different vitamin supplements and said one was the calcium! I have also had to change those that I originally bought there. Look at my guy on the left compared to the ones at the pet store still.. breaks my heart!! Once again I really appreciate all if your help!
What a massive difference eh?

Well at least you have actually took the time to learn about their care rather than taking what the shop told you at face value. I've lost count of the number of young Beardies that I have heard of over the years not being so lucky because their owners followed the shop advice and waited till it was too late to do anything to correct it. Those pictures alone should convince you you are on the right track with yours.

I will warn you though herpetology is addictive. What starts off as one dragon can quickly end up as a house full of reptiles lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nuochoakenperfume
Top Bottom