Is this medication side effects? Dragon randomly started avoiding basking. He always loved basking! I'm afraid he's dying.

ds_1771

Beardie name(s)
Abelardo Texas
So I got my little guy on June 8 from a good breeder. Avoided common chain pet stores. Took him to his first vet check on June 23. They did a physical exam and fecal. Fecal came up positive with Coccidia. Albon was prescribed. 0.18mls every 24 hours for 5 days. Well, for the recheck of the fecal he was still positive for Coccidia. A lot of it! So they extended the Albon medication treatment. 0.18 mls every 24 hours but this time for 7 days. Alright, so for the third recheck, he still had coccidia but "way less" according to his vet. During this treatment, I been cleaning his enclosure EVERYDAY. Steam clean it, F-10 veterinary, ammonia diluted with water to kill the coccidia. ALSO, I was giving him Bene-Bac for reptiles gel during this course of Albon treatment. Pea size 3 hours before his antibiotic dose.
I asked his vet if we can switch the medication because at that point I was CONVINCED that Coccidia became resistant to the Albon. The vet agreed to change the treatment. He ordered us Ponazuril since they didn't have any in stock. Well I was advised to continue Albon while the Ponazuril was in transit. So I continued Albon for another 5 days until Ponazuril finally arrived. Instructions are "Give 0.2 ml by mouth once every 48 hours for two doses". So I did that. His last dose of Ponazuril was on Saturday June 16. Well, my dragon's stools are now formed and hydrated! As funny as this may sound, I'm happy to see good looking stools from him again. My dragon even started taking interest on his greens. Well, i don't know why or how my dragon started to avoid his bugs and greens altogether. He started avoiding BASKING! He loves basking and him just hiding on his cave, sleeping on his cold side is a HUGE indicator that something is really wrong with him and i fear he is dying. I'm aware these creatures hide illness so well. But just like that, so random started avoiding basking and eating. Last bowel movement was today. Again, beautiful poop. I have a vet check up next week since I'm positive for COVID. I can't take him soon. I told the receptionist to add on his file that I would like another fecal recheck, blood work and x-ray. what I'm doing right now is taking him out to bask even though he doesn't want to, giving him warm baths, and offering fresh greens and bugs everyday (he takes a little bite still). But this behavior is not him at all. I thought bene bac was perking him up but no, he's slowly just showing more signs of sickness. What do I do? Is it the medications?

Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
So I got my little guy on June 8 from a good breeder. Avoided common chain pet stores. Took him to his first vet check on June 23. They did a physical exam and fecal. Fecal came up positive with Coccidia. Albon was prescribed. 0.18mls every 25 hours for 5 days. Well, for the recheck of the fecal he was still positive for Coccidia. A lot of it! So they extended the Albon medication treatment. 0.18 mls every 24 hours but this time for 7 days. Alright, so for the third recheck, he still had coccidia but "way less" according to his vet. During this treatment, I been cleaning his enclosure EVERYDAY. Steam clean it, F-10 veterinary, ammonia diluted with water to kill the coccidia. ALSO, I was giving him Bene-Bac for reptiles gel during this course of Albon treatment. Pea size 3 hours before his antibiotic dose.
I asked his vet if we can switch the medication because at that point I was CONVINCED that Coccidia became resistant to the Albon. The vet agreed to change the treatment. He ordered us Ponazuril since they didn't have any in stock. Well I was advised to continue Albon while the Ponazuril was in transit. So I continued Albon for another 5 days until Ponazuril finally arrived. Instructions are "Give 0.2 ml by mouth once every 48 hours for two doses". So I did that. His last dose of Ponazuril was on Saturday June 16. Well, my dragon's stools are now formed and hydrated! As funny as this may sound, I'm happy to see good looking stools from him again. My dragon even started taking interest on his greens. Well, i don't know why or how my dragon started to avoid his bugs and greens altogether. He started avoiding BASKING! He loves basking and him just hiding on his cave, sleeping on his cold side is a HUGE indicator that something is really wrong with him and i fear he is dying. I'm aware these creatures hide illness so well. But just like that, so random started avoiding basking and eating. Last bowel movement was today. Again, beautiful poop. I have a vet check up next week since I'm positive for COVID. I can't take him soon. I told the receptionist to add on his file that I would like another fecal recheck, blood work and x-ray. what I'm doing right now is taking him out to bask even though he doesn't want to, giving him warm baths, and offering fresh greens and bugs everyday (he takes a little bite still). But this behavior is not him at all. I thought bene bac was perking him up but no, he's slowly just showing more signs of sickness. What do I do? Is it the medications?
We need Tracie our vet tech can answer your questions
@Drache613

bleav913

So I got my little guy on June 8 from a good breeder. Avoided common chain pet stores. Took him to his first vet check on June 23. They did a physical exam and fecal. Fecal came up positive with Coccidia. Albon was prescribed. 0.18mls every 24 hours for 5 days. Well, for the recheck of the fecal he was still positive for Coccidia. A lot of it! So they extended the Albon medication treatment. 0.18 mls every 24 hours but this time for 7 days. Alright, so for the third recheck, he still had coccidia but "way less" according to his vet. During this treatment, I been cleaning his enclosure EVERYDAY. Steam clean it, F-10 veterinary, ammonia diluted with water to kill the coccidia. ALSO, I was giving him Bene-Bac for reptiles gel during this course of Albon treatment. Pea size 3 hours before his antibiotic dose.
My guy, when he was on medication, was super lethargic and didn’t bask and wasn’t eating very much even though the vet told me I should see signs of improvement right away. It wasn’t until a couple weeks after the last dose that he started acting normal again. I was treating him for coccidia too and the medication ended up working! Took a ton amount of patience, but worked out!

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom