Is this an egg???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sage103082

Hello! I have a question...I came home from work and found what I think is an egg in my beardies cage. He/She is will be 2 in July. I am attaching a pic of what I found. Is it an egg or something to worry about? There is only one in the cage. I took it out and put a little pressure on it and it has some play. I do not want to sqeeze to hard and pop it if it is an unfertilized egg. This beardie is a only beardie. Please suggestions would be great! I am wondering if Dino will have to be Dinette lol

1xz7s7.jpg

2rwrsxl.jpg

jacody

Sub-Adult Member
That looks like an infertile egg, is it yellow in the middle? Why does the top pic look fully formed and the bottom looks smooshed?? Just curious.
Pay close attention to her behavior in the next day or so, make sure she's hydrated, where there's one there's many more, does she look at all full in the belly between her hind legs? Is she eating?? Has she been leaving small poops or digging, scratching a lot? If you haven't already get a lay box ready as holding onto a clutch of eggs could be fatal if held too long (don't want to freak you out, but am dealing w/ the SAME thing right now)... you can get a 40 lb bag of playsand at Wal-Mart for $3.50, I do it right in her viv, hot side, moisten it enough like clay, but not enough so you have water running out, Google it if you have to, I slope mine up gradually around 10" at the high side and hopefully she'll feel comfy enough to lay the rest... if she's lethargic or constant black in the beard you need to get her to the vet w/o delay.. good luck and watch her..

Sage103082

Original Poster
The one side is kinda deformed because it did put pressure on it trying to see if it was rock hard or pliable. I was away all day so I have no idea who long this was laying near the heat lamp for. I have lifted her up and felt around her abdomen and do not feel anything. She has had smaller poos. She was digging last night. She always moves her cage items around. She ate her collard greens this morning like every other morning. She is laying on her skull right now staring at us. I will put her in a nice warm water bath tonight. I think the eggis more yellow to the sides. I am not sure what to do with it, I put it back into the tank right now until I found out what it was and what to do with it. Should I throw it out??

My first beardie - Trouble- I had for over 12 years and he was in repti sand and ended up with a impact. Broke my heart. So i am very against sand of any kind. In Dinos tank we have the repti carpet stuff.

Is there anything I can do without sand???

jacody

Sub-Adult Member
I understand the whole sand controversy, but you're not changing her entire substrate, just like 1/3 of it on one side and not to reptisun sand which although marketed to reptiles is more harmful than the white playsand they sell at Wal-Mart. Don't change it forever, only for now so you can give her a chance to lay any remaining eggs she has safely and quickly with more comfort.. let me know what happens and good luck with her..

Quelaag

Hatchling Member
I've been wondering about this myself because I recently found out that my 6 month old Beardie is female and I'm dreading her hitting Beardie puberty. Is it possible to make them a lay box using flax seed or alfalfa pellets or something? Would they lay in that or does it have to be sand? I'm sort of like the OP and am wary of using sand and maybe having an alternative would help them too. Though I'll use sand if I have to of course as I know it's definitely important to get them to lay as quickly as possible to prevent any health mishaps.

Also an important thing to probably include is how difficult is it to clean out the sand after they're done laying and whatnot? :lol:

jacody

Sub-Adult Member
I know pellets are out as some like to tunnel, not sure about flax... possibly flax meal although that would be very expensive... I've done a lay box in my viv before and simply dumped it out and sprayed it out afterwards.. I've never used sand for my beardies, slate and paper only, but am using it right now as I don't know of any alternatives that'll work as well. As soon as it's not needed it'll be gone, I too do not want to run the risk.. maybe Google alternatives, my herp vet basically said like any health issue to weigh benefits verse risks to not providing a place to lay and I made the choice. Dealing with this is nerve wracking, I'dve chose a male any day, but getting so young I had no idea until I was obviously attached to her.

Quelaag

Hatchling Member
Yeah, and at least with impaction the beardies in this case won't have been exposed long enough for it to be serious I think and it's not an instant death sentence so I think I'd rather deal with that. I was just wondering if there could be anything to help with egg laying besides sand and prevent problems. And it seems pretty nerve racking, but I too am attached to my baby and I wouldn't give her up for the world. Even if she can be a pain in the butt sometimes. :lol: Granted I stress very easily so anything she does that isn't "usual" for her makes me paranoid.

Oh and I don't think it's been mentioned to the original poster yet, but be sure to keep your beardie hydrated and don't be alarmed if she seems a bit lethargic directly after laying all of the eggs! From what I've researched, egg laying does a number on them and wears them out. They lose a lot of fluids so be sure to give her frequent baths.

wizbee

Juvie Member
Yes it's an egg. There can be up to 20 or so more if my Boga is normal. I put the sand in a flat tupperware container with 1 inch sides so the sand didn't go all over the tank. Cardboard box may work also. Boga laid some in there and some under blankets under the shelf in her tank (dark under there) and she could dig in the blankets.
Someone told me to put them in the freezer before discarding. I did but there was no chance of them being fertile as she lives alone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom