Is this a 'fancy' beardie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bambichik39

Juvie Member
wow this is way out of hand. Jtara, I apologize for this experience, especially since you are new here. Many of us don't know the actual lineage of our beardies, and its no big deal. It's just like dogs, I'd rather have a mutt with a great personality then buy one from a breeder that just looks nice. This isn't the 1980's, its 2012. Although the internet is a great tool, its still nice to be able to ask questions and get answers fast. Most books I found at my local library weren't UTD, so why not get online and ask around to people with experience? Pet store and shelter animals need homes too. Obviously you care to give the animal a good home, as you are here asking questions and going over your set up. Good luck and I hope you aren't deterred from this website due to this.

Gail

BD.org Addict
Jtara, I too am sorry for the response you have gotten here. The other guy is a newbie to this forum and let me tell you, 99.9% of the members here are not self righteous jerks like he is.
I hope you stick around and let us see your beautiful baby grow up.

brentdevader, I know you are new here but we don't discriminate again plain or pet store dragons. This isn't a breeder forum and most of us could careless about bloodlines. We are more concerned for the health of a dragon, not bragging rights about who our dragons came from. That being said, the dragon I got from Kevin dropped dead at 7 months old meanwhile the 'mutt' I got from craigslist is the healthiest dragon I've ever owned.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
As always, if you don't have any concrete proof to back up what you say or if it isn't relevant to what the OP asked for, please refrain from clicking on the Reply button.
In other words, . . . If you don't have something nice to say, then don't say anything at all.

TASTIGER

Extreme Poster
Gail":2vxeii9l said:
brentdevader, I know you are new here but we don't discriminate again plain or pet store dragons. This isn't a breeder forum and most of us could careless about bloodlines. We are more concerned for the health of a dragon, not bragging rights about who our dragons came from. That being said, the dragon I got from Kevin dropped dead at 7 months old meanwhile the 'mutt' I got from craigslist is the healthiest dragon I've ever owned.
just a helpfull tip brentdevader most of us on here have "mutts" and pet store dragons so please be careful with what you say because you will tick alot of people off.

lilgreeneyes

Juvie Member
Jtara you have a gorgeous dragon. :) He's going to get even more so as he gets older. What is his name? I look forward to seeing more pics :)

alcolton

Hatchling Member
Wow, I agree that this thread got intense very quickly. But like many other have posted that this site isn't here to shoot people down at all (with their breed of beardies, their vivs, their routines they have with their beardie, etc) instead it is a wonderful place where we can all come together and help each other. I am a new owner (as of Sept this year) and this site has helped me so much! I have read books, asked breeders and other owners, and no matter what I know that any questions I still have I can come on here and get the advice I need. I hope that all the new members of this site understand the importance of using their common sense about posting, and just being nice to each other.

I agree that I am excited to see the little one grow! Keep us updated :D and congrats!

Allison

smilez

@ Brent.

I am also a newbie to this site. i joined in November because i needed help with me beardies and do not have any pc internet at home. and i use my phone to research and the site is so much easier and better then all those other so called beardie sites. I would also not appriciate it if you talked to me that way and it does not matter if you didnt have internet when you started to research and you have all these great beardie ppl that can help YOU, we do not have that and its not fair that you look down on us like that. Rather use your your experience ect to help us. The fact that you know all this ppl does not give u the right to be / say anything like you did, it does not make you any better than the rest of us. im sorry for this post but ya. there u have it.

OH Its a pretty baby you have there. Mine is also a funny colour but will ask around as to what beardie it is and what colour ect - and i did not buy them from a petstore i bought them from a friend. Your enclosure ect sound good from what i have heard on the sites. Good luck hehe

Shiva

Hatchling Member
LOVE your beardie! he/she is beautiful and would love to see more pics as he grows.

how would a person have experience in order to purchase a beardie without first being a newbie.

I love the questions and answers on this site, without which I would have done things according to books I have read, which contradict what I have learned on this site.

No question is ever a stupid question...asking is gaining knowledge, gaining knowledge gains experience. IMO

Jtara

Original Poster
Thank you everyone. I didnt expect to be told to prove myself...I am here, using the search button...IMO thats proof enough. I shouldnt have gotten that upset but that response irked me.

This site has alot of great knowledge!!

Vox

What a little cutie!!! Can't wait to see more pictures as he/she gets older! Keep us updated :)

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I also wanted to make a comment on this thread. Thread hijacking is NOT allowed and will not be tolerated. When new members join the forum, they agree to follow all the site policies and the one on Rude Behavior was broken here in more than one post. This is NOT directed to the OP and the longstanding members apologize for the way your question (and you) were treated.

Your beardie is adorable, absolutely love the awesome coloring. Do you have a name picked out yet? He/she was a great find!

OwnedByOola

Hatchling Member
Another newbie here. You have a really pretty leatherback baby, with some of the prettiest red I've ever seen! A great choice. :)

Infowars

Jtara":25k2aq9d said:
You're right....I should probably take it back.
:laughhard:

That was pretty good lol

and... great looking dragon !!!!!

( I bought my Freddie from Petsmart, we felt like we where happy to get her out of there. She has been perfect the 7 month we have had her - Thanks to all the great info I learn on this site

img059x.jpg

imag0295b.jpg

20111212220723.jpg

jirish617

Hatchling Member
brentdevader":2q9prca8 said:
sorry, im old school and my beardie buddies from the 80's would die if they heard someone call a beardie "fancy". awfully silly. sorry about the petstore comment also. i would never buy from a petstore period. i get my beardies from breeders who have been doing this since the 80's and are responsible for most of the color lines you see today. kevin dunne is my best buddy when it comes to getting beardies!! i just got what is probably one of the only guranteed chances of getting a real german giant and that was from kevin dunne. the guy is a pioneer. he's prob responsible for the majority of the orignal color lines. fire and ice dragons claim they developed the citrus line in an 04 reptile magazine article when they got their stock from kevin dunne a few years before that and he had been calling his lines citrus or lemon burst for 10 years before that. just like the sandfire issue. who here thinks sandfire is a morph or color line? well it isnt either one, its just dragons bread from sandfire dragon ranch lines which i might add kevin dunne is in business with now. pretty much kevin dunne, pete weis and bob maillox(hope i spelled it right) are the gods when it comes to beardie breeding and i like to have those names assoiciated with my dragons. a lot of people complain about the higher cost but you can get lineage records and my little guys momma laid an unofficial world record of 68 eggs in a previous clutch so i'll pay for those healthy lines or morphs anyday. kevin dunne got his german giants from pete weis in 94 and pete weis was only able to import them from germany because he is a herpetologist and has a specialized approved facility. so i guess im not knocking you but im the type of guy who does massive amounts of research and homework into what i am getting. i remember the early days when i had monitors and a whole "reptile room" with 30+ animals and every kind of feeder you can think of being bread and i would impulse buy and find out later i didnt get what i thought i got a lot. glad those days are gone. usually reptile people are kinda nerdy, i am in the knowledge sense and when i hear, "i got this fancy beardie what is it" it tells me that person maybe shouldnt have a beardie. sorry to be harsh but ive known way too many cases of this over A LOT of years. its an exotic animal.anyways, i usually just scan the forums and read what i like but i decided to chime in on this one. sorry if i ruffle some feathers but its sad to say i have seen a million times more people get and get rid of beardies then keep them. petstores who list a beardie as fancy do not know anything about what they are doing in my opinion. most petstores except one i know of that specializes in reptiles only almost never know what they are talking about with exotics. ask my vet, we are close friends and he has some stories. wow! thanks

your.cool. no one cares if your not going to be helpful.

Jtara,
As said above, it looks like you have a leatherback(im jealous) haha. He/She will probably look awesome when they get older. I'm on my first beardie but I LIVED on this website for the first few months of having Lenny because there are so many people on her with a lot of good advice. It makes me hard to trust some vets because some of the info they have given me is conflicting with what I have learned here. This community has a great group of people that are always more than willing to help.

Offtopic:
A big props to the moderators of this forum, you all act much quicker and do a better job on this forum than on any forum of any type I have ever seen, thanks! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom