is there something wrong with my dragon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

glitchhtrap

I have a 9 month old bearded dragon I got from petco and usually he lays around all day but lately I've noticed he's been acting different. He didn't eat his breakfast yesterday, but he did eat this morning when I feed him, and when I got home, he had a black beard and a ton of stress marks. I feed him once a day and alternate between worms and collard greens, I give him water in the morning and at night and his viv is always at 80 degrees on the warm side, I'm currently looking on how to increase the temperature but thats how his day usually goes, I see him crawl around sometimes but he usually lays in his hammock. Also he's got a Reptisun uvb light, and he gets a bath usually once a week.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Welcome to the forum!
Unfortunately, a dark/black beard is a sign the dragon is in distress.

You mentioned the temp was 80 degrees on the warm side. Is this including the basking spot? At 9 months old you'll want a basking spot around 110 degrees, preferably with an incline or room to for them to adjust their temperature as needed. It's possible this is adding to the stress.

:!: With lower temperatures, your little guy will have a hard time digesting food which would impact his appetite greatly. I would make upping temps a priority.

:!: As for his diet, as a growing dragon he needs to be fed more than once a day, and alternating him to veggies every other day is not enough protein for his diet. What kind of worms are you feeding him?

:!: You mentioned the heating but no word on UVB light. Do you have one? Are you able to run through your setup?
***EDIT*** I missed the UVB part in your post, but please run us through the tank size, substrate (flooring), etc. Photos would also help

With the information you supplied it sounds like some immediate adjustments need to be done and could all be at fault for black bearding/not eating.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Welcome!

I know you mentioned that he has a Reptisun UVB light, but is it the long tube light or a compact/coil bulb? There's a huge difference and the compact and none of the coil UVB bulbs, regardless of brand, are good for beardies. They don't give them the proper UVB amount or wavelength, and in addition they can do great damage to their eyes and skin.

How long have you had your beardie? You mentioned that he is 9 months old and that you got him at Petco, but how long have you had him? It's quite obvious that the temp in his tank is his major problem, or at least the one with the highest priority, and I'm quite concerned if you've had him for many months and 80 degrees has been his warmest temperature! That's at least 15-20 degrees too cold, and ideally it's 25-30 degrees too cold. He isn't able to digest his food or process calcium at 80 degrees, so if he's been at that temperature for very long he may have some severe health issues that he is just now showing signs and symptoms of, like MBD. You seriously need to fix this issue IMMEDIATELY! What basking bulb do you have over his basking spot, brand/model/wattage? How high is his basking spot?

He's also not eating near enough and you don't mention a vitamin/mineral supplement, only calcium. So he's not taking in enough protein, calcium, vitamins, etc., and what he is taking in he isn't able to digest or process because the temperature in his tank is drastically low.

glitchhtrap

Original Poster
90505-878165723.jpg
90505-4263315443.jpg
sorry they're sideways? but yes, this is Spica, I'm not sure whats going on with his leg there, that's new. But yes! I give him mealworms once a day and I was wrong, it's not specifically calcium, its a multivitamin! I did buy him a new light, and it stays around 100 degrees now. He's got a carpet as well. and i think you're thinking of reptiglo, because I remember reading reptiglo was bad for beardies, and reptisun was the better option. His UVB light is is two straight bars, not the coil ones

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
I'm not sure whats going on with his leg there, that's new. But yes! I give him mealworms once a day and I was wrong, it's not specifically calcium, its a multivitamin
They need calcium supplements in their food 5 x a week and vitamins 2x a week. Not only is he not getting proper supplementation, what he IS getting can't be absorbed with the lighting you have. The swelling is signs of these issues.

He's got a carpet as well. and i think you're thinking of reptiglo, because I remember reading reptiglo was bad for beardies, and reptisun was the better option. His UVB light is is two straight bars, not the coil ones

If it screws into a fixture it is not a sufficient source of UVB. In his case you are going to need a strong uvb source, I recommend a Reptisun 10.0 t5ho 24" or 36" long to get good coverage of the viv and, he needs it quick!!!

JoshD

First of all meal worms are not good for bearded dragons, they have a very hard outer shell and are hard to digest, causing impaction. You should look into switching to crickets at the very least, I would reccomend super worms and dubia roaches also. He also needs to be fed twice a day, and a multi vitamin should only be used once a week!! You need to go to the store and buy a calcium powder as soon as possible. He should be getting calcium on his bugs every single day except for one, calcium is very important and he will get sick quickly if this is not corrected immediately

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom