Is there a way to fix an RI without a vet trip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theresa20

Hatchling Member
I'm pretty sure Spike has a respiratory infection, but I can't afford a trip to the vet right now (I'm in school, haven't had a pay cheque in six weeks.) He gapes even when he's not under the lights, the other day he opened his mouth really wide and made an odd sound, almost like a yawn, and just this morning I was feeding him and he started panting and wheezing. I want him to get better, but really can't afford a vet visit. Are there any online stores where I can order something that will knock the infection out? I really don't want him to be sick.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi Theresa, of course you don't want him to be sick. :( Could you fill us in on the temps in the tank and the type of thermometer you're using to check them? What is the tank humidity? Are you misting him in the tank? Is his beard and/or tail darkened in color? How long have you noticed these symptoms? If you could answer those questions, it might help but wheezing and panting while eating are not good signs and may very well warrant a vet visit. How old is he?

Theresa20

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
His temps are 105 in the basking spot, about 85 in the middle and 75 on the cool side, I measure with a small digital thermometre (haven't been able to afford a temp gun yet.) Tank humidity is about 40%, I don't mist him in there, just give him veggies in a bowl with water, bathe him every once in a while. His beard and tail look normal. These symptoms have only emerged in the past week or so, but I always thought he breathed a little heavily. He is roughly five years old.

Any ideas? I feel so bad for him.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Does the digital thermometer have a long wire with probe on the end? The humidity isn't too high to cause any problems really. If he has a water bowl in his tank, I suggest removing it though. What type of substrate is on the bottom of the tank? Do you see any mucous around his mouth or nose? Does he "star gaze" by looking straight up at the lights quite often? How often do you bathe him? Could you fill us in on the brand & type of UVB you're using? That's good that his tail and beard coloring are normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom