Is there a type that's the OPPOSITE of a leatherback?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghoul

I love the scales on lizards! Are there any morphs that have larger scales? I know with leatherbacks and silkies it's all about getting them smaller, but I haven't been able to find anything on the opposite.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Never heard of a genetic mutation like that before. Doesn't sound like it would be a good thing though.
If you like scales check out the Moloch lizard (aka thorny devil) crazy looking creature. Too bad Australia doesn't allow extremely limited export.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Ghoul, you're just referring to a normal scaled dragon....they ARE the original dragons....the leathers + silks are mutations. But, no, like Rankins said, there are no very large scales , but some beardies are spikier than others. Here's one of my normal scaled :
https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/30063/full

Some dragons are spikier than others, but in general they are just like my yellow guy. :)

And you have to see how the Moloch horridus has a cool way of getting hydrated, check this video and wait for that part.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUsARF-CBcI&t=150s

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
If you want larger scales, just get a normal scaled one. They have pretty large scales to begin with, at least compared to silkies and leatherbacks.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
There are several reptile species that are heavily armored that I would love to have!
Shingleback skinks
Sungazer
Armadillo plated lizard
They all are pretty expensive though. Shingleback skinks sell for $3000-$4000 each. Wish I would have bought some 30 years ago when I could have bought them for $300 each.

Ghoul

Original Poster
Oh man, I seriously love armadillo lizards.
Also, I currently have a normal - I was just wondering about it! :)

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Yeah, the girdle tailed are awesome!
But too expensive even though I have spent as much on some of my gila monsters.

Ghoul

Original Poster
Nice!! Have any pics?

Yeah, right now I'm saving up for the upcoming reptile expo near me...though my fiance and I just got a leopard gecko today...pretty much the opposite of scaly. :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom