Is there a possibility of Amellio being a Rankin's Dragon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amellio

Hatchling Member
Amellio is 3 years old now and she is not very big at all. Maybe 10 inches. 11 at the most. I don't know much about Rankin dragon except that they are smaller. I heard of some people thinking they have a regular size beardie but end up having a Rankin or lawsons. So any information is helpful.

Here are some pictures of her from early to most recent(besides the picture of her sleeping).
First picture ever taken of Amellio.
000_0268.jpg

000_0284.jpg

000_0297.jpg

102_0396.jpg

and a funny pic of her sleeping a long time ago. don't ask why i had a peice of polysterene in there..lol.
000_0287.jpg

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
His head does have a familiar Rankins shape but he definatelt isnt full out rankins.Rankins have a very distinctive bowtie pattern on their backs and their spike formation especially in the tail area is very different then beardies.They form in a ring like pattern.He appears to me to be a very small vitticeps.Have you had him from the beginning?What type of uvb is he under?

Amellio

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yea I bought her from Petsmart when she was really small. Like in the first picture. I have her under a Reptiglo 8.0 which is about to go bad so I am about to purchase a ReptiSUN 10.0. She did have parasites but I took her to the vert and treated her. I still think she is incredibly small.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Well the reptiglo 8.0 was an ok bulb but if he couldnt get to within 6 inches of it and if it isnt changed out every 4-6mos MAX that could result in the stunting of growth.If he was a petco beardie then he doesnt have Rankins in him because they get their beardies from the Sandfire Ranch but usually the ones that get shipped to places like Petco are the overstock normals and yes generally the runts.As long as he is healthy,getting good UVB and calcium there is no need to worry.We do have a name for them around here which as I said before is micro beardies and many do have them and they thrive.I would say if he is 3 years old and still doing well then I wouldnt worry but the next time you get him to the vet have him draw labs to check his calcium levels.

Amellio

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well, back in the day everyone recommended the reptiglo 8.0 and I have changed them out and she has been able to get within 6 inches of it. I wasn't worried about her being sick or Anyways, thank you for you help.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Het No problem.
Like I said the reptiGLO was/is a decent bulb and since you followed the correct usage recommendations I think you just have a beardie that was predisposed to being small due to genetics.There isnt anything wrong with that,they dont all have to be giants :wink: Take it from me I am 5 foot nothin' and about 90 lbs soaking wet good things really can come in small packages :lol: I am sure he is perfectly fine and will live to be a ripe old beardie grandpa,the only thing I do not recommend you doing is to breed him.Smaller beardies do have a higher prolapse and injury rate so its isnt recommended.

Amellio

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yea, i just posted a video of how my boy (Buddy) reacts to her(Amellio) when she is on my bed and everyone was saying do not let them breed. Which I never planned on doing it anyways because if he didnt kill her the eggs would have..lol.

But yea she has been a trooper. She was real small when she was sick and I even thought she wasnt going to make it but she pulled through.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Awhhh I am going to have to go look for that video.Well if she was sick that may also explain her size but from what you said she has a real zest for life!She must be a very funny little girl.

lacy_black

Gray-bearded Member
:lol: Watching her you can almost hear her thinking "is that the best headbob you can do big boy? You know you want this adorable body "

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Dave,
I am wondering what makes you think that?I went back and looked at pics just to see if I could see it but she doesnt have the patterns,spike formation and she has obvious beard cartiledge and color.Aside from the size and head structure which could also be just due to her size I just dont see it.Are you thinking possible hybrid?

Elora

Sub-Adult Member
DId your beardie have a period of time where she didnt eat for a while when she was young? One of my beardies Skyler is VERY small for her age, she is now 1 year old and just a bit bigger than yours. She went through a time where she didnt eat for almost 2 weeks. I have her under all the correct lighting and feeding but she still hasnt been able to catch up to my other beardie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarthPenumbra
Top Bottom