Is Terri beginning to brumate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

catUK

Gray-bearded Member
Hello, i know there have been a few posts about brumation on here but wanted some personal opinions on my own beardie's situation. Terri is 15 months old (in good health now after recovering from pnemonia a few months back even though temps and humidity in viv were all fine). For the past few weeks, terri has been staying in her cool end (85F) for the majority of the day (except for when she moves to her basking area to poop which is every other day or so). At first i thought it was bacause she liked the new log i had put in but now i'm thinking brumation. She either lies on her log in the cool end or hides under it with stress marks and looking like she is feeling sorry for herself- she has her happy colours on when i get her out for cuddles / play time. She eats less but is still eating but only if i hand feed her :roll: she'll eat about 2-3 locusts every other day and about 8 superworms per week. She is a good weight but this behaviour leads me to believe she may be getting ready to brumate? she doesn't sleep during the day but looks very lethargic. I've read that if they are going into brumation to provide them with a hide and that you can leave the lights on but shorten the time span?

Thanks for any input on this

Terri in the cool end:
DSCF0001.jpg

DSCF0002-2.jpg

catUK

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
she actually ate some worms freely today, without being hand fed AND went to bask on her own, only for 15 mins though! think she's trying to call my bluff lol. However, saying that she's back in the cold end now :D

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
I'm pretty positive that Bane is brumating. I can share what she's been doing if that helps.

It started several months ago she started spending more time on the cool end. I wrote it up to the heat. we had a hard time with temps getting to hot. Her eating decreased, she napped more. At first she kinda alternated between a few days in bed, and a few days of normal. Eventually the time in bed and not eating increased to all the time. She never went into a deep sleep, she'll open her eyes if she hears a noise near her. But I didn't worry because otherwise she seems fine. Her color is light, rarely had stress marks. Even though she's eating little or nothing she's not losing weight. Sometimes I wonder if she's gained some. lol She just seems sleepy.

After a few weeks of not eating and pretty much napping all day she seems to be starting to come out of it, much like she went in only in reverse. Now she occasionally takes a few bites of salad then sleeps all day on her log. Not too interested in bugs right now. She looks at them, then goes back to sleep.

catUK

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Thanks for sharing your experience :D Terri is still eating some- it's the time she spends in the cool end that first worried me, however she seemed to perk up a bit today- went exploring in the living room and had a good roam around (got her head stuck under the sofa not realising she's now too big to fit under :roll: ). It's reassuring to hear other people's experiences so thank you again :D

NightmareDisco

Sub-Adult Member
Nemesis is acting the same way, every day I get home from work, she in under her log, not sleeping, but just laying there. She also brightens up when I take her out. She is still eating pretty well though.

catUK

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
NightmareDisco":312wgy5r said:
Nemesis is acting the same way, every day I get home from work, she in under her log, not sleeping, but just laying there. She also brightens up when I take her out. She is still eating pretty well though.

Thanks - i think nemesis and Terri are in sync lol. Its not good seeing them so inactive and looking so lazy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom