Is still spring water okay for bearded dragons to drink?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wimtom

I am worried about dehydration, my bearded dragon is scared of water, even if I dab a tiny drop on his nose he will do a small hiss at me. I want to get him used to it and baths don't seem to be doing the trick. I have put a small plastic container in his vivarium and I filled it with bottled spring water, my tap water probably has a lot of chlorine in it to the point where you can taste it (safe for human consumption however maybe not reptile consumption). I purchased some bottled water from the store, is this okay for him?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Bottled water is fine. A lot of dragons wont drink water, or will do so very rarely.

Are you concerned that hes showing signs of dehydration?

-Brandon

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
What's wrong with good old fashioned tap water ?
If the tap water fit for humans to drink, it's fine for your dragon to drink too.

Salai

Every water is ok for bearded dragons to drink, except the water from rivers or rain water... those may contain lethal
bacteria or parasites... especially rivers, can contain chemicals that may be dumped into them.

Now, your dragons fear of water... maybe he hisses at you cause he isn’t thirsty. If he is, he will drink from his water bowl. The only thing you can do is bath him and provide water in the water bowl at all times...
-Salai

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Salai":15rutsr4 said:
Every water is ok for bearded dragons to drink, except the water from rivers or rain water... those may contain lethal
bacteria or parasites... especially rivers, can contain chemicals that may be dumped into them.

Now, your dragons fear of water... maybe he hisses at you cause he isn’t thirsty. If he is, he will drink from his water bowl. The only thing you can do is bath him and provide water in the water bowl at all times...
-Salai

Rain water ( In Australia we call it Tank Water ) that is harvested from the roofs of homes and then strained ( to remove materials like fallen leaves from overhanging trees ) and is stored often in very large poly or fiberglass or galvanized tanks , especially in rural area is fine.

Artesian water provided it's not been contaminated by nearby fracking or farming or industrial users and is not contaminated with arsenic or heavy metals , is also a common water source (and often THE ONLY WATER SOURCE) in Australia is fine.
Most the ground water wild pogona have access to is artesian (natural seeps , springs , and rural pumped artesian water).

River water (fresh) is fine provided it's clean ( naturally filtered in wetlands and through sandy soils ) or chemically treated by the local water corp to kill parasites, bacteria and viruses , is fine.

If in doubt , boil the water , then cool and use.

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Spring water yes. Most spring water is the municipal water from an area with an underground aquifer, suitable for various herps. I get a spring water for my frog, whose water needs are much more particular. I use the same water for my bearded dragon. That is my personal benchmark, if it is same for amphibians it will be safe for my bearded dragon.

I am not from the UK so I don't know if "Still Spring Water" is different from "Spring Water". I'm at work and my work computer won't let me access the Greenmoor website, you could look at their website or call the company to see where the water is collected. Spring Water (from label) should have no processing at all, collection from a natural water source straight to bottle and that is it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom