Is something wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dayscatwoman

Original Poster
I do need to measure temp. I brought her outside for awhile today, which she enjoyed so much she thought she'd try to fight me when I caught her trying to escape from me in my garden. She's never struggled with me so much. I put her back in her tank, and will puff up and gape at me now when I try and touch her and is digging at the glass to get back out. I'd never taken her outside before and I think she liked it a bit too much. There is a sheltered area in her tank (cave.)

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
I highly recommend the AcuRite digital thermometer w/ a probe. Only $12 at Walmart!
ACCURITE00891.jpg

It measures the temp of the actual box, and the temp of the probe; this way, you can put the box on the cool side of the enclosure and the probe on the basking spot so you don't need to buy two thermometers. It also measures the humidity, which should be 20-40%.

Sounds like she had a great time! With the puffing and gaping, it sounds like it may have stressed her out a bit, but that's perfectly normal, and it sounds like she had fun. :D Do you have a leash for her? There are a few members on here who have lost their beardies outdoors. I'm really paranoid about things like that.

Did you take any pictures of her outside?

dayscatwoman

Original Poster
I don't have a reptile leash, but I think I may need one the way she darted. Either that or some kind of pen to put her in. I'll definately get that thermometer from Wal-Mart. I did take pics of her outside and was wondering how to post them. I let my smaller one out today and as soon as she was on the ground she darted in my garden and struggled with me when I picked her up to put her back in. When she got back in her tank she immediately did the "glass dance" to get back out, but she was way too excited! I had never had the smaller one act so wild!

If your beardie ahs been in contact with a male latley she may be pregnant or she could be ahving pain in her eyes from the uv long bulb. Or she has had a stomach obstrucion from the play sand you should use calci sand its digestable bring it to the vet asap! Incorrect info posted

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
I don't want to start a debate or anything but I do want to mention that calci-sand is NOT digestable. It is much less digestable than play sand. Calci-sand will actually clump in a beardie's stomach and can be fatal. Play sand is the best if you choose to use sand.

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
spurlee01":b8b49 said:
I don't want to start a debate or anything but I do want to mention that calci-sand is NOT digestable. It is much less digestable than play sand. Calci-sand will actually clump in a beardie's stomach and can be fatal. Play sand is the best if you choose to use sand.
I totally agree. Adult beardies can pass small amounts of playsand, but even the smallest amount of calci-sand can cause major problems.

dayscatwoman

Original Poster
I'm glad to know about the calci-sand. The dragon I wrote in about has playground sand, and since I have discontinued the use of the flourescent coiled compact and given her time outside, she has defficated, stopped closing her eyes, and oddly enough, has resumed eating (though not intaking the veggie amount she used to.) She is still finding dark areas of the house to sleep in when I let her out to roam and trying to dig pits in her tank . Neither of my females have ever been with a male, or even if Im in mistake of the sex of the smaller one- been allowed contact to breed because the smaller girl is very hostile to the bigger dragon and I am afraid of injuries. The smaller dragon (beautiful, I got from a reptile show for $30 due to her nipped back toes-missing like 3) is a girl and has a mixture of calci-playgroung sand, but now that I've heard this I will replace with playground. I intially bought her to be a companion to my adult dragon when she got bigger, but after reading posts on this site as well as observing her very young hostile behavior to the older one when she sees it I am afraid of any damage that might incurr, so I guess they will have to have seperate tank lives for life. I feel bad about depriving them of companionship though. I've always had cats, now 2 dogs and a couple fish tanks, worked at an animal shelter for years, and it's kind of my instinct to feel that all animals like some interaction with the same species.

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
I'm glad she's doing better! :D Budo, my rescue, had some problems and was off feed for several months. Now that he's started eating again, he isn't so fond of his salads as he used to be. I think it may take some time for them to get used to greens again. Keep trying!

I know what you mean about companions; I'm so used to animals (minus the snakes) that get lonely. In Australia, beardies only see other beardies during breeding season, and major fights occur, mostly between males. They're just not a social being, although they do love to be with people! :D

dayscatwoman

Original Poster
Herpfreak, I got the recommended temp. gauge from walmart and her humidity is a little high. Is that a problem, and if so how can I take care of it?

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
How high is it? If it is much over 40%, you will want to lower it. Respiratory infections are very dangerous and can be difficult to treat.

Minimize the amount of water you have in the enclosure; i.e. just a small water bowl. If you mist your beardie, do so outside of the enclosure.

If you still can't get the humidity down, you should invest in a dehumidifier of some sort. There are machines available similar to humidifiers, but that take water out of the air. A CHE would also do the trick, although it will raise temps in the enclosure.

dayscatwoman

Original Poster
Humidity is 52% (according to new thermostat) I do not have a water bowl in the enclosure and have not been spraying her. It has been very humid here lately. I live near St. Louis, Mo. and it has been very muggy.What is A CHE? I could not use the heat lamp so much if it gets too hot. I'd really hate to buy a dehumidifier just for her tank. Do they even make small ones? I have been running our window AC quite a bit, does that increase humidity? I thought they helped take out the moisture.

dayscatwoman

Original Poster
Could the reading on the humidity be wrong? It seems like if the humidity was that high there would be moisture on the glass of the enclosure like a tree frog tank or something.

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
A CHE is a ceramic heat emitter, which gives off heat but no light. With the high temps, however, I doubt you want to use another heat source.

The window AC should help a lot to dry it out. A few more fans in the room would also do some good.

52% isn't that high; I would think it should be okay, as long as you keep a close eye on the beardie and watch for any symptoms of an RI (respiratory infection). Symptoms would include mucous around eyes / nose / mouth, lethargy, wheezing and whistling.

I hope someone else comes who may be able to further help you... I've never had to worry about humidity here, as the highest we've had in months is 30%. :x

dayscatwoman":00784 said:
Could the reading on the humidity be wrong? It seems like if the humidity was that high there would be moisture on the glass of the enclosure like a tree frog tank or something.
Common treefrogs (Pacific, red-eyed, Whites, etc) are kept at around 80% (or, at least that's what has worked best for mine). I keep the ball and blood pythons no lower than 50%, bumping it up to 90% when they go into shed, and one doesn't start to visibly notice the humidity until it gets around 80%.

dayscatwoman

Original Poster
Got new light today (Reptisun 10.0 with lamp.) After a couple of hours of it being on she started arm waving (something I never her saw her do before, so I guess she was happy. ) Humidity has dropped a little and she seems fine now. I'll have to post pics of my two beardies. Thanks for all your help, Christine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom