Is something wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I have 2 bearded dragons (both females, seperately housed) and the 3 year old has acted differently lately, although I'm not sure if something is wrong (brumation maybe, etc.) She has been staying on her perch for nearly a week now (occasionally she gets down, but not often.) Yesterday she got on the floor of her tank and tried digging a pit. Her interest in food has domenished. She used to love her salads and apples and poop every other day. She has been ignoring her salads and only eating an occassional superworm when I offer it to her. She pooped yesterday in the tub, but I hadnt seen her do it for several days up until then. She is in a 40 long breeder tank, with playground-calcium sand mix substrate. I use a 150 watt heat lamp and a coiled flourescent Reptisun UVB 5.0 on her. She spends most of her time under the UVB on her perch (use to be much more active.) When I let her out of her tank she ventures a little and soon finds a dark place to sleep (use to stay out more.) The only outward physical change I've seen is she tends to shut one eye under the lights and not seem to open both of them as wide and perky as she used to outside her tank. I do spray her salad with a multivitamin spray and I did get bad about forgeting to dust her gut-loaded insects for awhile, but that is the only thing I can think of that may of been different lately. Any advice?

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
Based on your post, she may be gravid (have eggs) or the reptisun 5.0 coil may be hurting her eyes. Here is a link explaining the dangers of coils/ compacts: [ Invalid URL Removed / p= t=65424 f=1 ]. The best bulb available is the reptisun 10.0 tube followed by the reptiglo 8.0 tube (NOT 10.0) and then reptisun 5.0 tube are the best UVB bulbs. The lack of appetite and digging could be a sign that she's gravid.

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
I agree with Sara, the coil may be the problem. The ReptiSun 10.0 tube is the best UVB fluorescent bulb out there, don't bother with the other ones. Based on her closing her eye, the coil bulb may be hurting her. There have been beardies on this forum that have gone blind due to coil bulbs.

The only other things that come to mind are parasites, impaction, and, as Sara said, the possibility that she might be gravid. Has she every laid infertile? If not, it is unlikely that she would start at this age, but not impossible. Can you feel follicles? Does she seem to strain to poo? Are her poos normal sized? Impaction is much less common in adults as it is in babies, but it can still happen.

If I were you, I would replace the coil with a ReptiSun 10.0 tube and see how she does. If that is the problem, she should start to perk up within the next week.

dayscatwoman

Original Poster
I will definately change her bulb. As for laying eggs she has never been bred, but the woman I got her from last year said she was purchased for that purpose and she was just now at breeding age when I got her. Can unbred females lay eggs? She pooped again today, but not a whole lot. (The last one in the tub was huge though and she isn't eating much.) Just tried to offer her some dusted superworms and she wouldn't touch them.

dayscatwoman

Original Poster
I have unplugged her compact flourescent until I get the recommended bulb. I read some of the article on coil compacts listed above, which really scared me! I just used the type of buld the previous owner had used. I do admit the long article on compacts was a little over my head. So for a 40 gal breeder tank, the best recommendation is the Reptisun 10.0? Keep in mind the top of the basking area is about 4 inches under UVB bulb. (After reading the article I think her being so close to that coiled compact may of been what was hurting her eyes and I thought a few days without out it wouldn't do serious damage would it? Temps here are now in the high 80's and i can give her some outside time for the next few days. Please advise, really appreciate your past input. Christine

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
If she is gravid, which is unlikely but it could happen, and she hasn't been bred, she will lay, but the eggs will be infertile.

4" away from a ReptiSun 10.0 is fine.

I'm sure she will perk up within days of getting a ReptiSun 10.0. For now, the high 80s is fine, as long as you don't feed her anything; she will be unable to digest properly.

Keep in mind that the ReptiSun 10.0 does not give off heat, only UVA/B radiation. You may need to purchase an additional bulb to keep your beardie warm enough.

Keep us posted!

peera

Sub-Adult Member
I don't have a lot of time, so I'll be brief- Yes, females who have never been bred can lay infertile clutches. It's not at all uncommon and you'll want to boost her calcium for a while just to be safe.

And a few days without UVB (up to 2 weeks) is better for her than being under the compact. The ReptiSun 10.0 tube is the best UVB you can get in the states for any size enclosure. You may want to try lowering your basking area if you can, the recommended distance is 6-8 inches.

dayscatwoman

Original Poster
Thanks for responding! I will lower to basing site to 6 in. when I get a new light. She does have a 100 watt heat lamp. I used to use 150 watts, but it gets so hot in the summer in our living room I lowered the wattage. I only have a couple questions left for now. Earlier it was asked: Can you feel follicles? - I'm not sure what that is or where to locate on reptile if similar to human follicles. Second question is, will she be ok to not be fed for a few days? I've always offered food every day regardless if they eat it. I owned a male beardie previous to these two females who was much different, so I guess I'm kind of ignorant on what to expect from an unbred female. Thanks, Christine

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
Yes, you can feel follicles, although I have no idea what they feel like. Maybe someone else can help you there.

Letting her go without food for a few days is better than giving her food while she is unable to digest. My Budo has gone two months now on twenty crickets (due to multiple health problems, including parasites, poor guy :( ) without as much weight loss as I expected. I'm sure she will be fine.

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
I thought UVB was needed for calcium processing and beardies would be fine a couple of weeks without it? OP said she does have a 100 watt heat lamp. Dayscatwoman, are you measuring temps? Sorry if I missed this when I rescanned the thread. :D
Sara

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
Hmm, you may be right... :? They do need heat to digest, but maybe they don't need UVB... I'll have to double check on that.

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
I know they need UVB to process calcium so you shouldn't feed calcium w/o a UVB light, but I think they can digest okay. Let me know if you find out for sure. Oh and ps... I think Starbucks whipped topping is disgusting too :D .

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
I'm looking into it, but Google isn't cooperating very nicely. :?

P.S. :laughhard: Finally! Someone who agrees with me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom