Is she just brumating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManekiNeko

Hey all, I'm not entirely sure what's going on with my beardie, Doll. She has been sleeping pretty much constantly and has completely stopped eating for the last week and a half. I have been continuing to offer her greens and soaking her regularly (she wakes up very briefly to drink). I've done some research and found that brumation (or rather, aestivation) is not totally uncommon mid summer.

But I'm concerned because in the time that I've had her, she hasn't ever really gone into brumation and she looks like she's lost some weight. I've felt her stomach quite a bit and it seems completely empty; no signs of impaction or egg bound. She does "puff up" a bit after her soaking, but a few hours after taking her out she starts to look kind of dehydrated again. She is also looking a little pale. I would have loved to have gotten a fecal sample from her, but since I pretty much woke up to her suddenly being like this and she's never done it before, it wasn't exactly expected and since she isn't eating, she isn't pooping. She has "peed" here and there in her tank a few times since this started. I also don't know what she weighed before this started; she's always been very active and healthy.

Some background on Doll...
I was told that she was around 4 years old when I rescued her and I have had her for about 2.5 years. I'm not exactly sure how old she is as the people who had her before did not care for her properly at all, so I wouldn't be surprised if they actually had no idea. When she does eat, she gets live crickets every other day and a salad every day. I try to soak her 2-3 times a week. Her UVB and basking bulbs are both zoo med brand, both recently purchased; warm side is around 106, cool side around 78. She has reptile carpet substrate and a 55 gallon tank.

So I guess what I'm asking is, does this sound like summer brumation or does it sound like she's older than I thought and her age is getting to her?

I'm prepared for the worst, hoping for the best.
Thanks in advance.

DaisyDragon123

Sub-Adult Member
You may want to contact an experienced reptile vet to see if something like a vent swab can be done, safely, to get a fecal sample to test for parasites. You could also try syringe feeding chicken and squash baby food to get something in your dragon to poo out in order to get a sample.

I am concerned about the peeing with no solid form. I interpret you to mean this is an unusual bathroom behavior. It may be nothing but if your dragon is not eating or drinking, where is the extra hydration coming from to cause liquid only with no solid form? I don't see anything in your post that would lend itself towards impaction...no sand substrate, feeders are appropriate, etc., that would prevent a normal poo.

Your question regarding aestivation is a good one. It can't be ruled out but the fact that your dragon has never done a summer brumation would classify the dragon's behavior as out of the ordinary for him/her and warrants further investigation. Even if a dragon appears healthy, it is always good to get a fecal done before brumation. You don't want any nasties multiplying while they sleep.

If he were my dragon, I would take him to an experienced exotic vet for a wellness exam, including fecal, just to rule out parasites, egg binding (??), impaction. If you can't afford the tests, I would at least get a fecal.

Keep offering hydration by dropper and baby food by syringe (dropping it on her nose). Hopefully she will eat enough this way to get a fecal to take to the vet.

***I read your post again. I missed the "looks like she's lost some weight" part. A dragon during a healthy brumation should have relatively stable weight and not have a very noticeable weight drop. Very noticeable weightloss is an indicator that all is not right healthwise.

ManekiNeko

Original Poster
There is no liquid to her urine. It is the usual dry, powdery white substance, just minus the feces. Sorry for any confusion on that.

When she has her bath and drinks a bit, she actually looks like her normal self again in terms of body size/weight/color, but she remains extremely lethargic and the healthy look doesn't last very long.

I have been looking for a reptile vet nearby and, unfortunately, the only one is not taking new patients. I'm still searching for one, though.... it's one thing if she passes from old age, but if she passes from something preventable, I'll never forgive myself if I don't try.

I am going to get her some baby food ASAP. I wasn't aware that they could eat it until doing some research.

ManekiNeko

Original Poster
She passed today.... I went to offer her some food and prepare a bath and she was gone.

I do have one more question. After she passed she had a brown liquid seeping out of her mouth. She had started bloating a little so I'm wondering if this liquid is normal or if it's something that could indicate what went wrong?

DaisyDragon123

Sub-Adult Member
I am sorry to hear that. When something like this happens so suddenly we always want to know why. Unfortunately, it would be speculation on my part to try and guess the cause of death. You can contact the vet and see if they will do a necropsy or if they will send your dragon off for one. I had to do this years ago for my cat and learned that he apparently had chewed on a piece of aluminum foil, ingested some, and it caused internal lacerations leading to death.

Once again, I am sorry for your loss.

ManekiNeko

Original Poster
Ohh, that's horrible. I'm so sorry. I'm a huge cat person; currently have 4 rescues. The animals in my home are family, so it's always hard when one passes....

I was considering a necropsy but we decided to bury her tonight. With 4th of July being tomorrow the only reptile vet within reasonable driving distance will be closed and we have no safe place to keep her until we could get her body to them.

She passed quietly in her sleep, so I am thankful for that. I can only hope that her last couple of years were good for her, especially knowing that she wasn't well cared for before she came to me.

Thank you so much for trying to help and for the condolences. I really appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom