20g tank
10.0 UVB light
75wt Sun Glo by Exo Terra
50wt Nite Glo by Exo Terra
Repticarpet
1 water/1 food dish
1 basking branch
1 rock cave

My beardie likes being at around 80-85 degrees on the basking side and 70-75 on opposite side.

Is this terrarium Bueno?

jeritta

Sub-Adult Member
hi
You don't need the night light. If it is cold at night a ceramic heat emitter is better. It will not put off any light and will not disturb the beardies sleep.
What type of 10.0 uvb do you have? is is a coil or a tube? is a reptiglo or a reptisun or another brand?
80-85 degrees for a basking temp is way too cool for a baby beardie it should be around 105 degrees. What are you checking the temps with? What type thermometer?
A 20 gal will be okay for a few months but by the time it is 5 months or so you will need a bigger tank.. 40 breeder is good.
and just since you are going over things:
what are you feeding? how often?
are you using calcium/vitamins? how often?
do you bathe your beardie? if so how often?

aNewRising

Original Poster
jeritta":3286hgwi said:
hi
You don't need the night light. If it is cold at night a ceramic heat emitter is better. It will not put off any light and will not disturb the beardies sleep.
What type of 10.0 uvb do you have? is is a coil or a tube? is a reptiglo or a reptisun or another brand?
80-85 degrees for a basking temp is way too cool for a baby beardie it should be around 105 degrees. What are you checking the temps with? What type thermometer?
A 20 gal will be okay for a few months but by the time it is 5 months or so you will need a bigger tank.. 40 breeder is good.
and just since you are going over things:
what are you feeding? how often?
are you using calcium/vitamins? how often?
do you bathe your beardie? if so how often?

-The night light is like the moon, but gives a decent amount of heat and he loves sleeping under it.
-The UVB is a coil, my next paycheck Im going to get a tube. Its Exo Terra brand.
-Its a simple thermometer. Right now its peaking about 100.
-I know I will have to upgrade, need money first.
-I'm feeding it Crickets daily, that are gut-loaded, with calcium dust on them before giving to the beardie. I also feed him shredded carrots and cut up bananas.
-I just started bathing my beardie. He doesn't like it, but I know he will have to.

HKzForDayz

Sub-Adult Member
Id avoid the bananas. They are high in phosphorous which drains the calcium out of them. Night lights are not recommended for dragons, they hide in nature so even tho its like the moon it disturbs them. Also what are you gutloading with?

aNewRising

Original Poster
Well wouldn't you guys rather have my beardie be cold all night (my room hits about 60-65 at night...) or have a night glo, that is barely visible, and is just a heat source... He sleeps all night with it on, he sleeps under it. I see no problem in that...

HKzForDayz

Sub-Adult Member
You ask is my terrarium acceptable, so we are telling you what is wrong with it. if your room gets too cold, id recommend getting a ceramic heat emitter. Now that is just a recommendation, as is everything on this site. Although they are recommendations from experienced beardie owners. Now if you dont want our recommendations dont ask for them, simple as that.

Kalec

I echo the ceramic heat emitter. You may not notice it at first, but lights - any colour - will stress a beardie out to the point where they don't sleep that well. A CHE will solve the heat problem very nicely. :D

Good on you to drop the coil, but I would get a ZooMed ReptiSUN 10.0 tube, not an Exo-terra. You can buy them cheap on www.petmountain.com and buy a $9 fixture for it at Wal-Mart. For temps, you need a thermometer with a probe. Attach the probe to the basking site and check the temps that way - a stick on can be off by as much as 20 degrees. A temp gun can also be used. An Acurite probe thermometer is $12 at Wal-Mart. Basking site for a baby should be 105-110 degrees, cool side in the 80s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meljorogers
Top Bottom