Is my boy too small/skinny for his age?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camden17

I see people posting their beardie’s growth of like 1 month and it’s so drastic, while my guy’s growing pretty slowly. I was told he was three months when we got him, and I’ve had him for almost 6 months now.

He eats black soldier fly larvae mainly and some crickets and hornworms rarely. Also salad is offered every day, but he only started eating that recently.

Picture of when I got him in October vs. picture today.

Attachments

• 01998F34-C99F-40EB-A00E-158C77E181B5.jpeg
    01998F34-C99F-40EB-A00E-158C77E181B5.jpeg
    165.5 KB · Views: 114
  • 09B04A42-6A16-431C-9214-DF186B91C925.jpeg
    09B04A42-6A16-431C-9214-DF186B91C925.jpeg
    185.7 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I see people posting their beardie’s growth of like 1 month and it’s so drastic, while my guy’s growing pretty slowly. I was told he was three months when we got him, and I’ve had him for almost 6 months now.

He eats black soldier fly larvae mainly and some crickets and hornworms rarely. Also salad is offered every day, but he only started eating that recently.

Picture of when I got him in October vs. picture today.
Dragons will grow at their own rate but his basking surface temps and his UVB are the most important thing in the tank -- can you please post a pic of your tank and lighting and we can go from there

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Like Karrie said, they grow at different rates and your dragon is fine for 9 months old. Some people feed their dragons a little too much at times, and some dragons are just genetically larger.

Camden17

Original Poster
Dragons will grow at their own rate but his basking surface temps and his UVB are the most important thing in the tank -- can you please post a pic of your tank and lighting and we can go from there
Yeah his setup’s good, he has a Reptisun 10.0 T5 and a halogen basking bulb. (Picture’s old from when I had a different basking bulb.) Basking surface is 110 on its hottest point and cool side goes down to 72.

I have been thinking about getting either another basking bulb or a CHE and putting it on the left side and just having the bottom be the cool side, idk if that’s a good idea or not. He eats and basks fine, I just wonder if he should have another heat option since my enclosure has colder cool side temps than most.
C005FC3E-5147-41EE-AC15-ABD76296B301.jpeg

Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yeah his setup’s good, he has a Reptisun 10.0 T5 and a halogen basking bulb. (Picture’s old from when I had a different basking bulb.) Basking surface is 110 on its hottest point and cool side goes down to 72.

I have been thinking about getting either another basking bulb or a CHE and putting it on the left side and just having the bottom be the cool side, idk if that’s a good idea or not. He eats and basks fine, I just wonder if he should have another heat option since my enclosure has colder cool side temps than most.
View attachment 69162
Is your basking light giving off a yellowish hue? The uvb should be a distance of 12-15 inches- you can use a regular house hold bulb not a coil one a 60 watt on the cool side should bump you temps up to 80's- if that is too much try a 40 watt -

Camden17

Original Poster
Is your basking light giving off a yellowish hue? The uvb should be a distance of 12-15 inches- you can use a regular house hold bulb not a coil one a 60 watt on the cool side should bump you temps up to 80's- if that is too much try a 40 watt -
Yeah I actually made a post about my UVB a while back and I was told just to keep the 10.0 rather than go to the 5.0 since his main basking spot is 11 inches away. The basking light in the pic isn’t the one I’m using now. So for the bulb for the cool side would I just use an incandescent bulb and a dome fixture?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yeah I actually made a post about my UVB a while back and I was told just to keep the 10.0 rather than go to the 5.0 since his main basking spot is 11 inches away. The basking light in the pic isn’t the one I’m using now. So for the bulb for the cool side would I just use an incandescent bulb and a dome fixture?
Yes-- what about the basking bulb?

Camden17

Original Poster
Yes-- what about the basking bulb?
I made a post about the basking bulb some months ago. I ended up buying the one you recommended but it was actually more yellow than the one I already had, so I think it’s just the picture that makes it look so yellow :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I made a post about the basking bulb some months ago. I ended up buying the one you recommended but it was actually more yellow than the one I already had, so I think it’s just the picture that makes it look so yellow :)
Ok

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom