Is my Beardie Dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theEnigma

Help! I worry that he may be dead already, but I'm trying to be sure.
Body is very light pale golden color, beard and tail are pitch black. Not responding to stimulus, including water, picking up, and tilting while I always hold him. He's been lethargic for the past few days.
When I opened his mouth a bit sticky mucus started to come out. No signs of breathing at the moment. Eyes are closed and somewhat sunken looking. He is not stiff though, and he has been completely limp for at least the past 2 hours since I've come home.
Is he dead, or is there still time to do something? There are no reptile clinics where I live.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm sorry about your beardie, if he's not breathing at all ...it may be that he's dead. :( Probably nothing you can do now. It may have just happened so he hasn't stiffened yet. I'm truly sorry.

theEnigma

Original Poster
Thanks. I'm just finding it odd that he hasn't stiffened up at all yet. I've had him for just over six years now, so I'm aware that he's a bit old. Even if he's not dead yet he's very sick, I know that. Does anyone know how long rigor mortis takes to kick in?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
If you truly can't get him to a vet, just wait to be absolutely sure he's gone. In the warm tank it will take longer for rigor mortis to set in. If he's so unresponsive, there may be nothing that can be done.

theEnigma

Original Poster
Alright, thank you. I don't plan to bury him until I know for a fact that he's gone. Maybe at this point I'm just looking for ANYTHING that I can do or make myself doubt that he's not really gone yet, but thank you for the help anyway.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You could pick him up & try giving him a bath. Perhaps he is dehydrated & will perk up in the warm water. Good luck.

Ugh I'm realyl sorry to hear that, it doesnt sound good. Is there any chance he got really cold and got knocked into brumation? Happened with one of ours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom