Is my beard or healthy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had a beardie for about 2 months now. I don't think he's gotten bigger but my boyfriend does. He's so small and I tried to measure him and the app said that he was about 12 in long. Is this a normal size for a beardie around 3-4 months old?

NaeShopLove

Original Poster
He's actually getting heavier. He eats when he feels like eating so it can be anywhere 20-50 mealworms a day it just really depends on how he feels that day and how much of his fruits and veggies he's ate. His temp is always set to about 85 to 100 degrees. He has a big rock with a hole in it for when he gets tired, his food bowls, and a rock background for him to climb on.

Varalidaine

Juvie Member
Hey there, his length sounds normal and if he's gaining weight (a food scale is great for tracking this) then he should be good! But I did want to come and say that Mealworms are not really good for them. They have tough outer shells and don't carry all that much nutrition. Things like Phoenix Worms, Silkworms, and Dubia Roaches are all great staple insects, and you can treat with horn worms, crickets, super worms, and wax worms. His insects should also get dusted with calcium every other day while he's a baby. I use the TetraFauna ReptoCal with D3, which is readily available at any pet store. You don't really need a calcium with D3 in it though since it is thought they can't absorb the artificial D3 anyway.

It is very unlikely to find any of these insects in pet stores, so I order online. My favorite place is http://www.rainbowmealworms.net because they have a very natural and organic focus, so their insects are fed well, which means your dragon will be fed well! The shipping is fast and they always give a discount if you go to checkout as a guest (fill in your e-mail) then leave the items in your cart for a few hours ;)

Hope your little man keeps growing!

NaeShopLove

Original Poster
Varalidaine":18u2moqc said:
Hey there, his length sounds normal and if he's gaining weight (a food scale is great for tracking this) then he should be good! But I did want to come and say that Mealworms are not really good for them. They have tough outer shells and don't carry all that much nutrition. Things like Phoenix Worms, Silkworms, and Dubia Roaches are all great staple insects, and you can treat with horn worms, crickets, super worms, and wax worms. His insects should also get dusted with calcium every other day while he's a baby. I use the TetraFauna ReptoCal with D3, which is readily available at any pet store. You don't really need a calcium with D3 in it though since it is thought they can't absorb the artificial D3 anyway.

It is very unlikely to find any of these insects in pet stores, so I order online. My favorite place is http://www.rainbowmealworms.net because they have a very natural and organic focus, so their insects are fed well, which means your dragon will be fed well! The shipping is fast and they always give a discount if you go to checkout as a guest (fill in your e-mail) then leave the items in your cart for a few hours ;)

Hope your little man keeps growing!

Well the pet store said that the mealworms were good for him so that's why we had gotten them. He only eats them when he feels like it though. He has his own little personality that I absolutely love. We had read every where else that mealworms were bad for him though so we didn't really know what to think.

Varalidaine

Juvie Member
Yeah, they really aren't great. They just don't provide adequate nutrition and can cause impaction. I would switch to a different feeder insect and dust with calcium to support his growing body.

NaeShopLove

Original Poster
We put calcium on them almost everyday. It's just good that it's not his main diet. He also eats blackberries, kale, and grapes. How is everyone else's dragons though? I'm a beginner and I love my little baby he runs the house. Is anyone else's dragons like this?

TheDragonKeepers

Sub-Adult Member
We feed our big adult dragons locusts, pachnoda grubs and butterworms with waxworms and morios for treats - staple, they get spring greens, chicory, kale, butternut squash, Nature Zone Beardie Bites and sometimes lamb's lettuce or spinach, and occasionally include a variety of fruits :)
(Blueberries, this week. Melon last.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom