Is it the start of puberty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigD16

Juvie Member
Alright, So I have had 3 dragons and have a good bit of experience and knowledge on beardies. But, I do not know everything there is to know about beardies. So this is where everybody else comes in. My mom just acquired her first beardie earlier this year from repticon. She bought a baby sandfire beardie from Hernin at MightBiteReptiles. When my mom picked out her favorite beardie,held him, and decided to buy him, She told Hernin what one she wanted and he sexed it for her. He told us that it is a Male. He is approximately 8 or 9 months old and about 8 or 9 inches long. Right now we have him in a 20 to 30 gallon long and she is about to move her beardie into one of my old 40 gallons. He eats regularly. He eats size appropriate gutloaded crickets and over the past few months, I've had my mom start to slowly introduce veggies. He will accept veggies, But he would much rather crickets. Anyways... A couple weeks after she bought him and brought him home, We noticed that he had a severe case of MBD. We were able to quickly turn it around and he regained the function and use of his back legs. Anyways, Onto what I really want to know... He isnt the calmest beardie right now, But my moms got him to slowly warm up to her. He's still pretty jumpy and tries to intimidate and bite at anything that is bigger then him. Which I knew was something we'd have to deal with from the get go until he calmed down. But back on point, My mom went to give him his crickets and he completely ignored them and instead went nuts and started glass dancing and running all around his cage very furiously. He splashed his water everywhere and seemed to be fascinated with his reflection. I picked him up a few times and he jumped out of my hand once and back into his cage and resumed his rambonxious running. I put my hand on the ouside of his tank and covered the area he was looking at on that particular side of the cage and he seemed to calm down. Now my question is, Could he be starting to go through sexual maturity and that's why he's getting so hyper over his reflection? Could he be thinking its another dragon invading his home? He hasnt really ever been super calm since my mom bought him, But again, She's got him calming down and warming up to her slowly. But he has never been this hyper or rambonxious before since we've had him and it only seemed to be when he was looking at the glass sides of his tank and at his reflection. Is he old enough to be going through puberty? Is he just trying to protect his home from the "Unknown Dragon" that he see's in his reflection?

Thanks for reading and I appreciate any information anybody has for my mom.

Thanks again,
Matt

(I posted this topic originally in General Discussions, But thought I'd also try posting it here thinking I would get more responses... Anyways, I just wanted to let everybody know that I'm aware that I posted this in General Discussion as well as the Behavior Forum.

SunShine

Juvie Member

Try putting paper taped to the sides and back up. Most viv's that are glass have backgrounds as most beardies do not like their reflections. They think it is someone else and will start to go nuts. Let us know if it doesn't work =)

BigD16

Juvie Member
Original Poster
We've taped up the sides of his cage and it seems to of calmed him down a bit. My mom is still apprehensive about him when he's like this, But with reptiles, It's not if your going to get bit, It's when your going to get bit. And I would much rather take a few bites from him while he's still growing compared to when he's full grown like both of my beardies. My mom is starting to get better about it and he's calming down slowly but surely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom