Is it just me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious....
Is a dragon really love being with us "human"?
Bill, my spoil rotten dragon seems always want to be out her viv and be with me or my husband.
Every time I'm at home she just staring at me, and when I put my hand in front of her she quickly put her hands and ready to be picked up.
I put her on my chest, sometime I put warm sock under her... she seems so comfy, just lay still, close her eyes and her belly is totally white.
Just now I have to put her back on her viv, I try to woke her up, but she "pretend" to sleep.... I feel really bad, I think she just want to be near her pet human.... is it just me? :?

This is Bill, under her red blanket, sorry it's kinda blurry. I took it with my cellphone
0305092024.jpg

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
It's not just you, Redrock preferred shoulder time 24/7. Speedy and Zoom Zoom are getting that way also. It seems to me that the more they bond with you, the more shoulder time they need, even if it means they don't get the basking/uvb time they need.

We take them outside every day when it's warm and sunny enough. Zoom Zoom didn't seem to mind outside at first, as long as she was on one of us. She felt scared when put on the ground. She's gotten better now, even though last Sunday she bearded me as I walked up to her. When I talked to her and bend down to pick her up, she stopped.

dolcedragon

Sub-Adult Member
Wait a minute.. it's a female named Bill? Ok well, I think that anyone who really shows their dragons love get it back. Beardies can be very affectionate and get very spoiled. It's great that you have that relationship with them. I think Bill loves her human. Mine are my children. :D

erdeem

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yeah..her name is Bill, Billie, lil bil or crackers. When I got her I thought she a boy. She has a last name too... Bill Compton, a character in True Blood (HBO Series).
She responded very well when I called her name (or it is just me...) so I thought It's better to stick with Bill our pretty beardie.

This morning when I woke her up, she look upset, her belly has some patterns. I believe it's because I cleaned up and changed the setup of her "furniture" last night. She fell asleep during her neck time, and I don't think she realized the changes last night because closed her eyes pretends to sleep when I put her on her tank.... So funny!

Freeie

Extreme Poster
I think they love us I raise them like they are my children i talk to them feed them love them snuggle them all up and put them to bed at night. Over time as they have gotten older(mainly chimera cause the other 2 are little yet) They respond to my voice and enjoy when they see me come over to their viv's ok except Lexi she still thinks im the mean bath lady :laughhard: I'll butter her up later with some waxworms :D Chimera acts diffrent with his mom :roll: my 15 yr old. Shes a bit ruffer than i am with him and she kisses him and he puffs up at her. But he loves her. So i have to say yes they love us too :D

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
Mostly from the heartwarming stories I've read on here, I definitely think that beardies love humans. Or, they like being with humans and they trust humans. Personally, I have had very few moments where I feel that he loves me, but he's pretty new to handling in general, so I'm sure he'll come around.

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
That is so lovely that you have that bond.
It seems to vary from beardie to beardie. Dex was just like your Bill, whereas Ruben is very independant.

Thanks for sharing!
Holly

erdeem":33aa1 said:
This morning when I woke her up, she look upset, her belly has some patterns. I believe it's because I cleaned up and changed the setup of her "furniture" last night. She fell asleep during her neck time, and I don't think she realized the changes last night because closed her eyes pretends to sleep when I put her on her tank.... So funny!

Beardies find viv changes stressful because their nature is to be territorial. It's a survival instinct. In the wild, their survival depends on picking out an area that has what they need and knowing every inch of it. Meaning there are places to hide when they sense or smell (with their tongue) that a predator is coming, they know where the insects hang out, they know where the tastiest plants grow, they know there are other other beardies (for mating) in the area (adults are sorta lazy and really don't want to go long distances for anything), etc. Like the way we can walk around our houses in the dark because we know them so well. The reason changing their viv is stressful is because they longer have that sense of safety. They don't understand that they are, in essence, in the same place. To them, it's not a furniture change, it's an environment change. The only thing that gives them back their sense of safety is just the time to have good experiences and no bad experiences in the new setup. The amount of time it takes varies with each beardie. Don't force them to explore (bad experience) and just keep everything else normal. Changes should only be done when they are in the best interest of the beardie and it works better when they can be done gradually like the changes they would experience in a natural environment. Having said all this, though, don't worry too much at this point. A little stress on an otherwise healthy beardie isn't going to cause any long term effects. Just thought I'd try to explain what your beardie is "feeling."
Jessie

mojo505

Hatchling Member
my beardie doesn't seem to love to cuddle... she just wants to eat. she tolerates me, but she doesn't seem to love being handled. she's only 6 months old.

i am always shocked to read that people let their bd roam around the house... i am so scared to let her be free that she'll go somewhere i won't be able to find her!

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
mojo505":df1ee said:
i am always shocked to read that people let their bd roam around the house... i am so scared to let her be free that she'll go somewhere i won't be able to find her!
Your beardie is still a baby. :) You're right, when they're so small they easily get stuck in places we don't expect. Once yours is older and bigger, you can start watching her while she runs around. It only takes a few weeks to figure out her favorite hiding places. Then you can leave her in a room alone for extended periods of time and probably come back to find her in one of her favorite places. After I shower and come back to my bedroom to find Budo and put him to bed, I keep telling myself "think like a beardie, think like a beardie", and I ususally find him in some small, dark space. You could also use a leash if you are worried.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meljorogers
Top Bottom