is he suffering? stop treatment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elaina

Juvie Member
This isn't being posted lightly. I cannot decide if Stewie is suffering, if I should continue treatment for YFD, or not.
He has been treated for this for three years. Despite five or six procedures, being medicated 90% of the time, topically and painfully cleaning and treating wounds...we can't get the fungus to go away. It absolutely won't stay away anymore. Its really just getting worse no matter what we do.
Its been six weeks of the newest medication and since the last debridement. Some of it is worse, like over his eye.
He doesn't eat well at all due to the oral meds. I end up syringe feeding often.

Yet through all of it he is as sweet as can be. He loves to be out and go for his swims. And cuddle in my neck.

I can keep fighting the fight but I'm afraid we are not winning. I don't if he is sufferring. I don't want to keep him alive but in pain and Suffering. I really could use some input. Thanks:(

Elaina

Atrax

Sub-Adult Member
Aww, poor lil' guy :cry:
What's the humidity in his tank, it shouldn't be higher than 40%Rh. Hope he'll get through this and again be a happy lil' dragon.

Good luck, I hope he'll get better soon! :cry:

beardieluv

Sub-Adult Member
If it seems like he is still enjoying life, then no, i don't believe he is suffering. He is still active and loving and as long as you are willing to fight with him, and you believe he is still happy and active, then keep fighting. I'm so sorry you all have to go through this, my thoughts are with you.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am sorry that he is having to go through all of this.
Do his eyes look bright still, & is he active?
How long has he been on treatment, total time? It can take up to 1 year sometimes longer, to completely get rid of all fungus, depending on the severity of the infection.

Tracie

Elaina

Juvie Member
Original Poster
His eyes look bright, he is active when he comes out. He is happy when when he is off the meds, and I'm not hurting him cleaning his wounds. On the meds, he doesn't eat on his own hardly ever. Its been three years. I wish I could say that I can treat him and at least keep the fungus from getting worse. Maybe it isn't as bad as it could be, but it is getting worse no matter what we do. The vet is actually concerned it is growing down past the epidermis, into his jaw. So, its like treat him, and there is a small chance that he will maintain at the cost of feeling like crap. Don't treat him, and he will feel better until the fungus overcomes him. I feel so guilty thinking about his fate, its in my hands. Its my job to care for him. I care for him so much I don't know if I am letting him suffer for it. I have no reservations about fighting the fight. Its cost me a fortune already, so what's more. My kids are upset thinking he is going to die soon. I just want him to be happy.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow, that is a long time, he has been on medication. Is he on the Itraconazole then?
Are you using an external cream as well? Do you have any pictures of Stewie?
I guess it is a decision only you can make, depending on how you feel that he is doing. I am not sure why he has not been able to get rid of the fungus.
I am sorry, it is a horrible thing to have to be guilt ridden like that. It is not your fault. He has lived this long because of you & I am sure that he appreciates everything you are doing for him.

Tracie

Elaina

Juvie Member
Original Poster
He has been on itracononazole and now terbinafine. My vet said we could try Voriconazole but its too expensive. I use silver sulf. cream. I do have pictures but they are on my phone that is dead lol. I have given him a week off and he is eating more. I think that if I don't treat him at all I will feel awful. I can't just give up. But I still don't know if it will do any good. I hate the fact that after several days of meds and syringe feeding, etc, he black beards me and gets anxious as soon as I approach him.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I completely understand. Is there any way you can get the meds to taste better for him? Are they suspended in water solution? What is the dose he is getting?
Did the vet ever figure out the root cause of the fungus?
Have you ever looked at using colloidal silver? It is an antimicrobial agent & is very good. It may help, & you can give it as you would water, with a dropper. It has no taste so it should be easy to get some into him.
I know, it is hard knowing whether to treat or not to treat.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
Thats a very tough call. YOU know your animal. I have had poopers that I have had to make this deccission for and its never easy. I go by the eyes. are the bright? allert? This sounds lame, but when its time I think you will know.

Elaina

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Update: We decided as a family that the stress and side effects of the terbinafine and the itraconazole were not worth the stress for Stewie. Despite treatments the fungus persists. We decided after three years of treatments and surgeries that it was time to just stop. Our hope was Stewie would at least feel better despite the fungal infection. Its been about a month, and he still will not eat on his own. He lays at the bottom of his tank most of the time. He is not active, even when I take him out, he just tries to hide right away. I have been soaking him and syringe feeding him.
He has a vet appointment on Friday. I am sure there is nothing else we can do, but we will see. I am afraid he won't come home with me, so we could use your beardie prayers and support. Thanks.

Elaina

Puff2011

I'm so sorry for you and Stewie. These decisions are the worst part of pet ownership. I pray that he perks up and does well. Good luck to Stewie!

LilStinkpot

Juvie Member
We had a cat for over 15 years. He was a true "momma's boy," never straying far from my mom. When she passed four years ago, Amos began to pine -- no matter what we tried, he just lost interest. The day came when he wouldn't get out of bed, wouldn't eat, wouldn't take care of himself. That day was the hardest I've had since loosing Mom. Their ashes will be together up on a hillside soon, once we can arrange the trip.

You both are in my thoughts today. I hope it goes well.
038.jpg

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
LilStinkpot":335pcqmn said:
We had a cat for over 15 years. He was a true "momma's boy," never straying far from my mom. When she passed four years ago, Amos began to pine -- no matter what we tried, he just lost interest. The day came when he wouldn't get out of bed, wouldn't eat, wouldn't take care of himself. That day was the hardest I've had since loosing Mom. Their ashes will be together up on a hillside soon, once we can arrange the trip.

You both are in my thoughts today. I hope it goes well.
038.jpg

That just brought tears to my eyes.. This is why I love animals so much, they are just dedicated to us, and love us unconditionally, no human can ever do that..

I'm so sorry to hear about Stewie, I know how hard it is... I've had to put 2 of my dogs down in the past year, and it was the hardest thing ever... You are in my thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom