Is Fluffy a boy? Morph help too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Clearly male as other have said. He looks like he isn't totally a normal phase. He's got some red stripes running down his back. Not sure what his lineage might be or what people call that. I don't pay attention to that, I'm more interested in color and pattern. The name of the morph doesn't matter to me.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
If he doesn't have pure black eyes, [ making him a transluscent ] clear nails [ making him a hypo ] or is a leatherback or silkback he would be considered a normal , but with color.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Sometimes I think people just throw darts at a list of names and call them whatever the dart sticks.
A "Sandfire" is a normal looking dragon with red color. Shouldn't it be called a normal dragon?
I'm confused....

Zombiepanda

Juvie Member
Rankins":3g8t4kh8 said:
Sometimes I think people just throw darts at a list of names and call them whatever the dart sticks.
A "Sandfire" is a normal looking dragon with red color. Shouldn't it be called a normal dragon?
I'm confused....
Do rankins have all the same morphs and colors as beardies?

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
No, 100% pure Rankins are tan or grey...
People have made mutts by breeding them with bearded dragons hoping to create morphs. Vittakins are a cross and not desirable at all.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree with what your'e saying about colors, I should have been more clear. Sandfire was actually trademarked, and the high color dragons that came from Bob's sandfire ranch were spoken of as a morph. Citrus tigers are a morph as well, so they have been around for a long time and have their genetics in alot of dragons. I know what you mean when you said looks like the O.P's dragon was mixed with something. Back in the day when you were breeding and in my earlier years , a red dragon was considered a morph,compared to the plain tan or grey color. That was way before the trans + leatherbacks were around. Now that there are trans., leathers, silks, Dunner zero + witblit, most people call a normal scale dragon a normal, whether it's brightly colored or not. I prefer to call them by the color they are as a descripton at least , even if not a morph.

I do believe the reddest dragon's origins are from the parts of Austaralia with red sand. That was according to an article in reptiles magazine from many years ago written by herpetologist + then breeder Pete Weiss who called his red line of dragons " redflame ." I had some of those years ago as well as original sandfires both about 20 some years ago. Anyway, I didn't mean to nitpick....O.P's dragon is beautiful. :)

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Your not nit-picking :) Your helping ;)
There are just so many traits, names, and genetic mutations out there. Even some dragons that look exactly the same are given different names. When I was breeding them there were not so many genetically manipulated bloodlines. I had bright yellows, oranges, reds, and a few greens. They all had normal scales and the colors were not created through genetic mutations. They came that way....
I'm still not sure exactly how I feel about breeding for mutations. Most of the time I think it isn't genetically healthy...but then again I like all the colors. But in most animals breeding for mutations has negative effects on health.
I'll probably never be fluient on how dragons are named...it would take too long because there are so many and my main interests are invested elsewhere... But I still love beardeds and Rankins :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angiemeyer8561
Top Bottom