Is anyone else here fed up with fake sales?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeosMom

Juvie Member
For the second weekend in a row I received an email from a popular feeder company offering FREE dubias!!! On the first weekend, the ad said to "just pay actual shipping". Over the weekend I went to the website to find out what actual shipping would cost - $6.11. I went back again that Tuesday to order the exact same thing and suddenly my actual shipping was $8.56. Did anyone else hear about a 35% USPS rate hike over that weekend? Me neither. But I figured it was a good deal and the company needs to make a profit so I made the purchase anyway.

Then, this weekend I get ANOTHER free dubia offer. This time there is also an offer to purchase some sub adults at really terrific prices. I was very interested because I have been considering getting a colony going. Oooooohhhh... For about $22 I can get some sub-adult starters and there is another offer for "free" dubia. Cool. Who could pass that up, right? So, I tried to place the order. $18+ to ship me 45 bugs. Seriously. As if I am just a complete and utter imbecile who is too stupid to know that my shipping on my previous orders was always around $8. Yeah. So you are LYING to me in these emails. You are not offering to sell me something for the amazing discount you are claiming. You are offering to sell me these things at the prices you are emailing, plus $10 (which you think you are going to slyly bury in shipping costs where I will be too stupid to see it). :angry5:

Here is the irony. I didn't ask for these sales. I was considering buying more bugs anyway - AT REGULAR PRICES. I only clicked through to try and do this because of the email I received. The email this company chose to send out of their own free will. And when I attempted to contact the company about it, they never bothered to respond to me. THAT is the part that finally ticked me off enough to post this here.

I'm sure anyone reading this who has had these same dealings knows exactly which company I am talking about. But, to be honest, it's about more than that company. We all hate to go into pet stores and see beardies without proper care. And we all buy the best supplies and such for our animals (family members). And as much as I can't stand to see beardies trapped by a dishonest store that has poor business practices, I also can't stand to be treated like some kind of rube who fell off the turnip truck yesterday by a dishonest company with poor business practices.

So, if anyone here can recommend another terrific place to buy dubias besides the one I tried not to name above with the deceptive advertising practices, I would really appreciate it. I am still considering my dubia situation. Thanks for any good help.

Mindi

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If you're unhappy with the way the company is doing business, then I'd select a different supplier as there are a ton of them out there. I've only ordered roaches once (to start my colony) but had a good experience with ABDragons. I believe Premiumcrickets has just started offering dubia as well. I used to get my crickets from them and had plenty of good experiences.

SukiLove

Juvie Member
I think I know who you are talking about. When I'm buying I take the whole purchase price, including shipping into account and the number of dubia I'm getting. I go to a couple of different reputable sites and compare the "order now" total price per dubia.

I've not run into issues with any so far, and have used 3 different ones. But that's how I do it. :)

SukiLove

Juvie Member
I've used ABDragons as well, Mulberry Farms, and Rainbow Mealworms - although I only get my worms from them, never tried dubia.

NeosMom

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks. :D I've promised myself to give my business to good companies that are honest. I'm determined to find one for dubia too.

SukiLove

Juvie Member
Well, in case that read wrong; I've only gotten worms from Rainbow Mealworms. I've gotten dubia from ABDragons, Mulberry Farms and Dachiu.

I've also looked at Roach Crossing and Dubi Deli. I may try those in the future. I have a colony started, but still buy feeders until its up and running.

NeosMom

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I think I need a colony, but will still need feeders too. Hoping to find a great starter colony.

Eckabeb

We bought our original dubias from amazon from the seller "dubia roaches" when we were just giving them a try. We bought our second batch to start our colony from kfcfeeders. We emailed them back and forth due to memorial weekend slowing my package down via usps and Chris responded within a few hours each time. I recommend them just because they were the cheapest price I could find and because they were willing to express send me another shipment due to the holiday slowing it down. :)

NeosMom

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I checked out Dubi Deli and they seem to have extremely fair prices. I also like that they give immense amounts of details about their shipping - what they do, what they ask, and WHY they do all of that. My kind of people.

Night before last I couldn't sleep and I just felt this need to check craigslist. I have no idea why because there was nothing there for dubias when I checked before. There was someone in my area starting up a business and dealing with all sorts of bugs including bunches of different kinds of roaches. His ad mentioned dubia in passing like no big deal. He is apparently really interested in his other stuff. So, I sent him an email. I was super honest with him about my situation and what I am trying to do with sorta maybe starting a colony if I'm not to much of a squeamish girl. I was also very honest about my budgetary constraints. His response was terrific. He is thrilled to help and would be happy to work with me. We are emailing back and forth trying to figure out how to get my babies fed and SLOWLY work on starting a colony for me. I asked about only adding like 3 adults to my order so that I can find out how much the freak me out when I'm getting stuff out of my bin. He is local to me, so I can spend my money on bugs instead of USPS. And he seems to be a good person to deal with so far. I'm a little nervous because it's craigslist, but I posted there in Florida when I was first starting my own business, so who knows! I will keep posting here and let people know how it goes. If he turns out to be a good source, I will get his information for anyone who wants it. I'm very excited!

JenFid

Sub-Adult Member
Craigslist can be great! I tried it on a whim also and found someone not far from my house who didn't have beardies anymore but were still raising dubias, I got a great deal on them. Previously I purchased from Dubi Deli and Roach Ranch too (which seems to redirect to ABDragons now).

I think I know the company from your original post, they posted that deal on Facebook too.

NeosMom

Juvie Member
Original Poster
My bug situation is working itself out fantastically. The original company contacted me looking for a review. I gave an honest one. Of course, that's when they decide to contact me trying to make things right. I told him the issues and that I have a new supplier. (I promise to share this guy's info if anyone wants it as soon as he tells me he wants referrals.)

I've made a decision that I'm not dealing with these companies anymore. If you can't be honest and treat me with respect, then I'm not giving my money. So far this year I have completely discontinued any dealings with Time Warner Cable, Harris Teeter Grocery Store, and West Coast Roaches. I will update the list as it expands.

Hope everyone is doing well. :)

SukiLove

Juvie Member
Haha, yep. Knew it was West Coast Roaches.

I just used DubiDeli and they were fantastic! They ship same day, so you don't have to wait a week. I even called them to ask a question and when we lost connection he called me right back. I really appreciate that.

coffeebutt

Yeah I saw those sales from westcoastroaches...they do ramp up the shipping price with the 'free' dubia they are setting up which is kinda of a bummer and misleading. I even made a regular order and added the 'free' dubia and it ramped up the shipping, but once i removed those free ones the shipping went back to regular.

I always get my roaches from westcoast though, they always have sales for the 1,000 tiny roaches for $30 and decent shipping and its the best deal i've found.

But yeah those 'free' dubia are certainly not free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom