Is Albon ok and safe?

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
Is albon ok to give to my bearded dragon. He starts it tomorrow. I think it can cause him to loose his appetite, and he’s supposed to have it for two weeks. Does anybody not recommend using it? Is it unsafe? How likely will his appetite go away and will it eventually return? Thank you!
He’s getting pancur as well. He already had a dose of that. The vet made it seem like h didn’t have a bad case of parasites. Is there a way to just give him pancur?

He is off of them now. He was treated with antibiotics for parasites before that to treat the diarrhea but it didn’t work. It was an older stool so the vet didn’t see any parasites but did it because it is the most common cause of diarrhea. A little while ago his pooped seem to get better. But, then started becoming frequent again. However, it could have been from over-hydration. I can’t tell how his poop has been lately because there is a lot of sand in his tank and I cant find the poop. The last poop looked fine. It just had water with it.
Do you remember which antibiotic it was? Metronidazole?
I believe most of the common antimicrobials used for GI parasites have anti inflammatory properties already.
I haven’t seen steroids used in reptile GI parasite treatments so I can’t speak on whether it’s effective or ineffective. But, I believe many vets avoid it due to its immune system suppression properties. Many GI parasites are considered normal in low quantities (for beardies). But, if antibiotics are prescribed in excess and steroids are suppressing the immune system, the host’s commensal bacteria wouldn’t be able to limit the parasites to low quantities.

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
Do you remember which antibiotic it was? Metronidazole?
I believe most of the common antimicrobials used for GI parasites have anti inflammatory properties already.
I haven’t seen steroids used in reptile GI parasite treatments so I can’t speak on whether it’s effective or ineffective. But, I believe many vets avoid it due to its immune system suppression properties. Many GI parasites are considered normal in low quantities (for beardies). But, if antibiotics are prescribed in excess and steroids are suppressing the immune system, the host’s commensal bacteria wouldn’t be able to limit the parasites to low quantities.
I think he only saw coccidia but said it could also be a nemotode like parasite. I think the albon is prescribed for 5 days in a row then every other day for the rest of the 14 days. I don’t remember the antibiotic. Thank you!

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
That’s a really tough spot to be in. I would recommend having your current vet email you a copy of her (his?) medical record. The new vet will want it and then you can also see the fecal results.
Typically, Albon is for coccidia and Panacur is for worms. I would postulate she has both if both were prescribed. Pinworms and coccidia are pretty opportunistic. Typically they exist without issue in low numbers because beardies’ immune system/commensal bacteria can keep them in check.
In my experience, Albon is safe for reptiles when dosed properly and should have minimal adverse effects (as long as it’s given with food). However, I have also never seen a doctor prescribe Albon for 14 days.
Parasites are, obviously, very dangerous for gravid reptiles due to their increased nutritional requirements. However, from what I understand, Albon can perpetuate the dehydration gravid reptiles are already prone to if used in excess.
Generally you should see some improvement about 3-4 days into most anti parasitics(depending on the dosage). If the doctor is insistent on Albon after you’ve expressed your concern with it, you should know within a few days if it’s having an effect.
Depending on the type of coccidia, full eradication typically isn’t necessary in beardies. The population just needs to be low enough that the host’s system can control it. A few coccidia is healthy for a beardie.
Has the doctor recommended any dietary changes because she’s gravid?
The vet gave him an x-ray and didn’t think there was eggs. People on here thought there were eggs. So, the vet dosent know he’s gravid. I don’t think the parasites have been having an effect on him yet. He has been eating good. Should I treat him for the parasites while he’s still gravid? Or wait for him to lay his eggs?

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
I think he only saw coccidia but said it could also be a nemotode like parasite. I think the albon is prescribed for 5 days in a row then every other day for the rest of the 14 days. I don’t remember the antibiotic. Thank you!
I believe he had the antibiotic for a week. When that didn’t work the vet said it probably wasn’t parasites. Then, a few days later. He was given a steroid to help with inflammation. He was on the steroid for a while. But, he’s been off it for almost a month.

The vet gave him an x-ray and didn’t think there was eggs. People on here thought there were eggs. So, the vet dosent know he’s gravid. I don’t think the parasites have been having an effect on him yet. He has been eating good. Should I treat him for the parasites while he’s still gravid? Or wait for him to lay his eggs?
Yeah finding eggs tends to be a doctor’s weak point for some reason. I’ve seen a very smart doctor count 6 eggs on an X-ray and suggested the lizard wasn’t bloated because she was egg bound. A couple days later the lizard laid 31 eggs.
Is it a question of if the beardie is a female? Or did the doctor suggest he is a female but doesn’t have any eggs? Because sexing is pretty easy if he has femoral pores.
The problem is, gravid reptiles have higher nutrient requirements. They tend to need more calories, protein, calcium, and water. Parasites can take away from that. And not treating parasites can lead to follicular stasis.
Typically, non-gravid beardies aren’t really in danger until you see symptoms.
I would be concerned that administering 2 drugs would disrupt him more than taking him to a doctor. I have seen a few gravid beardies brought in before, so I think disruption is only a concern when they’re actively laying. I could be wrong, though.

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
Yeah finding eggs tends to be a doctor’s weak point for some reason. I’ve seen a very smart doctor count 6 eggs on an X-ray and suggested the lizard wasn’t bloated because she was egg bound. A couple days later the lizard laid 31 eggs.
Is it a question of if the beardie is a female? Or did the doctor suggest he is a female but doesn’t have any eggs? Because sexing is pretty easy if he has femoral pores.
The problem is, gravid reptiles have higher nutrient requirements. They tend to need more calories, protein, calcium, and water. Parasites can take away from that. And not treating parasites can lead to follicular stasis.
Typically, non-gravid beardies aren’t really in danger until you see symptoms.
I would be concerned that administering 2 drugs would disrupt him more than taking him to a doctor. I have seen a few gravid beardies brought in before, so I think disruption is only a concern when they’re actively laying. I could be wrong, though.
The vet sexed him as a she. He has been digging A lot, so I think he will be ready to lay soon.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh so the vet now said your dragon is female & not male? It is highly possible she has eggs & is
going to lay, especially if she has been digging a lot.
Are you giving extra calcium for her right now, in the case she is developing eggs/
How is she doing today?

Tracie

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
Hello,

Oh so the vet now said your dragon is female & not male? It is highly possible she has eggs & is
going to lay, especially if she has been digging a lot.
Are you giving extra calcium for her right now, in the case she is developing eggs/
How is she doing today?

Tracie
I’ve been trying to give him calcium everyday. I don’t know how to give extra. I was giving him greens and purée to stay hydrated. He is digging today. He been digging even more since I gave him a lay box. He eats when I offer food to him.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom