Is Albon ok and safe?

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
Is albon ok to give to my bearded dragon. He starts it tomorrow. I think it can cause him to loose his appetite, and he’s supposed to have it for two weeks. Does anybody not recommend using it? Is it unsafe? How likely will his appetite go away and will it eventually return? Thank you!
He’s getting pancur as well. He already had a dose of that. The vet made it seem like h didn’t have a bad case of parasites. Is there a way to just give him pancur?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Is albon ok to give to my bearded dragon. He starts it tomorrow. I think it can cause him to loose his appetite, and he’s supposed to have it for two weeks. Does anybody not recommend using it? Is it unsafe? How likely will his appetite go away and will it eventually return? Thank you!
Albon is harsh so I recommend a probiotic while he's on it- make sure you keep.him hydrated- his appetite can be off while he's on the med- you can check out Tracie s website for the probiotic - Home

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
Albon is harsh so I recommend a probiotic while he's on it- make sure you keep.him hydrated- his appetite can be off while he's on the med- you can check out Tracie s website for the probiotic - Home
Is repta boost a probiotic? Because when I look up probiotic on the internet it pops up. Also, will he get better once it’s over? The vet said to call if his appetite is affected, so I think he might have a plan of what to do if it happens. I’m just not sure what that is.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Is repta boost a probiotic? Because when I look up probiotic on the internet it pops up. Also, will he get better once it’s over? The vet said to call if his appetite is affected, so I think he might have a plan of what to do if it happens. I’m just not sure what that is.
Let's have Tracie advise and answer questions for you- she's the vet tech on here-
@Drache613

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The panacur is safe, as long as it's properly dosed per his weight. As far as Albon, which is a sulfa
based drug, it is a pretty harsh drug & hard on the kidneys. While it is relatively effective, they have
to be on it for a couple of weeks usually to reduce the coccidia levels.
Repta boost isn't really a probiotic, but it does tend to help the appetite out. You can try getting non
dairy Reptophilus or non dairy organic soy yogurt to help out with stomach distress.
How long is the Albon supposed to be given to him? One big thing to do while he is on the Albon is
to be sure you keep him hydrated.

Tracie

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
Hello,

The panacur is safe, as long as it's properly dosed per his weight. As far as Albon, which is a sulfa
based drug, it is a pretty harsh drug & hard on the kidneys. While it is relatively effective, they have
to be on it for a couple of weeks usually to reduce the coccidia levels.
Repta boost isn't really a probiotic, but it does tend to help the appetite out. You can try getting non
dairy Reptophilus or non dairy organic soy yogurt to help out with stomach distress.
How long is the Albon supposed to be given to him? One big thing to do while he is on the Albon is
to be sure you keep him hydrated.

Tracie
He is on albon for a total of 2 weeks. He is on it daily for 5 days, then every other day. Will giving it to him hurt him? Or just make him not feel good for 2 weeks?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ok, 2 weeks isn't terrible. Is it warranted though, did the vet give you the counts for coccidia?
Was there a reason you had a fecal done, was his appetite or behavior off?
It varies from dragon to dragon as to how they react to it. Some are fine on it while others tend
to be affected more & lose their appetites.

Tracie

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
Hello,

Ok, 2 weeks isn't terrible. Is it warranted though, did the vet give you the counts for coccidia?
Was there a reason you had a fecal done, was his appetite or behavior off?
It varies from dragon to dragon as to how they react to it. Some are fine on it while others tend
to be affected more & lose their appetites.

Tracie
I don’t know the counts. He only said it was a small concern and he had to zoom in real close to see it. I went to the vet for an x-ray. He has been having diarrhea from laxatives and also before the laxatives that was treated. I thought the diarrhea got better. Then, it seemed to be getting a little worse and I thought his appetite was a little off. However, the vet says I just feed him too much and he is full. So, I’m not really sure if the coccidia is affecting him.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I don’t know the counts. He only said it was a small concern and he had to zoom in real close to see it. I went to the vet for an x-ray. He has been having diarrhea from laxatives and also before the laxatives that was treated. I thought the diarrhea got better. Then, it seemed to be getting a little worse and I thought his appetite was a little off. However, the vet says I just feed him too much and he is full. So, I’m not really sure if the coccidia is affecting him.
Please ask for the test results of the fecal - if they are small and not a concern then I would not give the med -- its when they are high counts that the meds should be given --- good UVB and good surface basking temps will help the dragon fight off the parasite -- what laxative were you giving?

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
Please ask for the test results of the fecal - if they are small and not a concern then I would not give the med -- its when they are high counts that the meds should be given --- good UVB and good surface basking temps will help the dragon fight off the parasite -- what laxative were you giving?
I think they were parasite eggs. So, I’m not sure if that makes a difference. The laxatives were an ennema, lactolose, and a movement medicine. I think they were small.

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
Is there an alternative to albon that is less harsh?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Is toltrazuril better?
That is a question for Tracie - please no more laxatives you can feed your dragon things like unsweetened applesauce shredded sweet potato canned plain pumpkin to go to the bathroom- those are better- Tracie will be able to help you better if you post the fecal results

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

As Karrie suggests, enemas are really not necessary at all. I recommend the more natural
things to help clean out her system.
The Toltrazuril is much less harsh & works more quickly. It is very effective, too.

Tracie

Toadleagend

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Cole
Hello,

As Karrie suggests, enemas are really not necessary at all. I recommend the more natural
things to help clean out her system.
The Toltrazuril is much less harsh & works more quickly. It is very effective, too.

Tracie
I like it better as well. However, the vet is very insistent on the albon. I don’t know what to do. Thank you for your help!

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom