Is Air dry clay okay for beardies?

xMaxthekidd

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Joey
my bearded dragon keeps hanging out on the opposite end of my tank from the bulb and I think he needs a hideout. (The beardie in question is actually my brother’s and we don’t have a hide yet.) I was wondering if air dry clay would be an effective medium to sculpt one from? I would seal it of course but would that stop it from crumbling if he scratches it?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
my bearded dragon keeps hanging out on the opposite end of my tank from the bulb and I think he needs a hideout. (The beardie in question is actually my brother’s and we don’t have a hide yet.) I was wondering if air dry clay would be an effective medium to sculpt one from? I would seal it of course but would that stop it from crumbling if he scratches it?
Is he basking? We need CooperDragon to help on the hide thing
@CooperDragon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Not much, I’ll find him on the other side of the cage near the bulb on one of his sticks sometimes though. It might be a temparature issue.
Could be temp issue bulb issue or UVB issue-- please go over how your taking those surface basking temps No stick ons they are inaccurate you want 2 digital probe thermometers --- IR guns are good but certain materials will throw them off --- colored off white or yellowish bulb or daytime bulbs are not good for basking - you want a clear solid bright white bulb -- NO coils for UVB

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm not sure if the clay would be too brittle, but I doubt it would be harmful and might be worth a try if that's what you have on hand. You don't necessarily need to have a hide made out of clay. Any kind of cozy shady spot can work. I often find my dragon sleeping curled up under a cross of two driftwood pieces that creates a shady area he can squeeze into. I think it's more about security and (less than basking) temperature that are the keys rather than a specific material - so there's lots of good options.

xMaxthekidd

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Joey
Could be temp issue bulb issue or UVB issue-- please go over how your taking those surface basking temps No stick ons they are inaccurate you want 2 digital probe thermometers --- IR guns are good but certain materials will throw them off --- colored off white or yellowish bulb or daytime bulbs are not good for basking - you want a clear solid bright white bulb -- NO coils for UVB
Do you have any reccomendations for thermometers? i think the ones my brother has are stick on

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Do you have any reccomendations for thermometers? i think the ones my brother has are stick on
Replacing your brother’s thermometers should be done asap, get two digital probe thermometers and place one on either side of the tank. You can move the probe to measure the most accurate temps.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom