Is a male required for egg-laying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MelissaGray

Hatchling Member
Just kinda of a stupid question...Do females lay eggs if there isn't a male around? Just curious because my girl, Sydney, has MBD and I am worrying about her possibly laying eggs and depleting her calcium. Didn't know if they were like birds...I had a cockatiel lay eggs for 4 months before she stopped.

Catalyst

BD.org Addict
Females can lay eggs without ever coming into contact with a male. Not all females do it though, it depends on the individual dragon - for some it's a regular event, while others never do it. My girl is 3 years old and has yet to lay infertile eggs.

LJean

Extreme Poster
Not to hijack the post, but do you think they are more likely to lay infertile eggs if there is a male in the house?

Catalyst

BD.org Addict
LJean":99b3d said:
Not to hijack the post, but do you think they are more likely to lay infertile eggs if there is a male in the house?

Good question. I would think that it would since the female would/could still be exposed to the sights, sounds, and smells/hormones of the male and that could potentially trigger the whole biological egg laying sequence. Seems logical to me, but I have no experience with this so it's just my best guess.

trinamine

I have another sort of stupid question! I am getting a female beardie tomorrow. I have 2 males (who live very happily together). The guy I'm getting her from says she's gravid. Does this mean she is carrying eggs that should be incubated?

If I have it right, they mate and then they grow the eggs then they lay??

Please excuse my ignorance! and any spelling errors - Spike is running around on the laptop

Catalyst

BD.org Addict
If she's gravid then yes, she's carrying eggs. As the person you're getting her from if she's been with a male. If so, then they are probably fertile and should be incubated. If she has never been with a male then they will be infertile and there is no need to incubate the eggs.

And yes, mating then eggs then laying is the right order.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hitclubhomes1
Top Bottom