IS a bearded dragon the right pet for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is but I need some opinion. I am a 13 year old boy who loves reptiles. Excpesialy the ones who like to be held. It also needs TO NOT BITE . If I get freaked out I might drop it. Though I don't realy think I have to worry because I held one in Petco and it seemed sort of nice. So, do yo think I should get one. :?

darwin08

Hatchling Member
I would say yes it would be a good pet. It is a lot of work in the beginning, but as you start to get used to all the lights and feedings it turns easy. I am 15, and doing fine with one.

Beardys Rock

Hatchling Member
bearded dragons are extremely handleable, they are pretty calm.
you can't decide on just getting one you need to think it all through, it costs alot of money to have the setup correct and theres getting a quality dragon, not one from petco & you'll have to have the money to take it to a herp vet if it falls ill.

I highly don't advise getting one unless you have alot of time on your hands, have the money & are willing to treat it correctly, if they arent treated correctly it can cause serious problems, anything from diseases + issues such as MBD and if the temperatures arent correct your dragon may be agressive.

-Austin.

lizardfreak08

Original Poster
Beardys Rock":3cf04 said:
bearded dragons are extremely handleable, they are pretty calm.
you can't decide on just getting one you need to think it all through, it costs alot of money to have the setup correct and theres getting a quality dragon, not one from petco & you'll have to have the money to take it to a herp vet if it falls ill.

I highly don't advise getting one unless you have alot of time on your hands, have the money & are willing to treat it correctly, if they arent treated correctly it can cause serious problems, anything from diseases + issues such as MBD and if the temperatures arent correct your dragon may be agressive.

-Austin.
I do have a lot of time on my hands 'cause I don't play sports. Plus, my mom said I can use as much money as I need to keep it happy and healthy. Plus, I will never ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever abuse an animal of any kind. So I guess i should get one. Yay, I'm so excited. :D

citrusdragon

Sub-Adult Member
Sounds like a beardie needs YOU!!!!

You will enjoy a dragon. My three kids love all of ours. Clara, 4 year old holds one of our breeder males, Horus, almost everyday. They are an excellent family pet for kids, and tend to be safer to handle than most cats.

Jeff

damien6210

Hatchling Member
hey that good a dragon is definitely the best pet ask us wat u would need before u get the dragon
we will tell u wat u will require like the lights, food , tank, ect

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
The most important thing about owning a bearded dragon at the age of 13 is making your parents as aware and educated as much as you are about your bearded dragon. Everything you read and learn about their care, feeding, lighting, temps and housing is very important, and your parents must understand as well. Make a deal with them so if they ever doubt you, have them come to this forum so that we can back you up. And don't let them listen to any advice the pet store gives! And tell them you can buy all the stuff you need cheaper online! We are always here to help in any way. My daughter has had them since she was 8 years old and because of her, all together we have 5 beardies and a snake. At least I don't have a bunch of cats.

Dave94

Gray-bearded Member
I'm 14 and have 4beardies and another 2 coming in January, aslong as your dedicated and have some time to feed them you'll be fine.

Awesome!! I think its a great way to get into reptiles. Dragons are fun and you will fall in love immediately.
Make sure your set up and food are at your house before you buy a beardie.
You also said biting will freak you out and you might drop the beardie. Sometimes juvi's to teenagers can be a little frisky and puff out and attempt to bite. Its usually just a phase so you need to choose a dragon from a reputable breeder that handles there dragons quite a bit. Research the breeder first. There are a lot of bad ones out there and they are hard to tell from the good ones. So research everything about your dragon and its enclosure way before you even spend any money.
This is the best place to come for help and information. You will love love love love love a dragon.
Make sure your mom fully understands the responsibility and cost. NEVER EVER take the advice of a pet store worker even if they claim to own a zillion dragons.
There are always bearded dragons in desperate need of a good home on your local craigslist. That may be a great way to get a new buddy.
CONGRATS AND GREAT CHOICE. :blob8: :blob8:

Edricks

Gray-bearded Member
Well, if you have the time, and the money, then yes, a bearded dragon IS a good pet for you!

They can get expensive if they are cared for properly, but everything you need to know you can find here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom