Is a 40 Gallon Tank enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Hey all,

New poster here. Our son has a beautiful little beardie baby in a 15-gallon tank. We're looking to trade up. Our local pet stores don't have any tanks larger than 40 gallons, which we've read is the minimum for a beardie. We're inclined to go higher. Where's the best place online to shop for big tanks? Or will 40 gallons really do the trick?

Thanks!

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
40 gallon breeder/long tanks are enough, but just that. I found a 75 breeder at a mom & pop shop. It wasn't cheap, but I felt that it was a decent price on it: $150. Our monitor is in it now, and when we upgrade his cage, the beardie will go into it. She is currently in a 40 gallon and about 12 inches or so.. (I should measure her again).

You might consider building your own enclosure. If I had time/resources/not-a-lazy-SO, we would...

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Thanks, Negative Creep!

Our gut feeling is that 40 gallons is adequate, but we want to go one step more than that, if time and money allow. We're considering building one if it comes to it, although we're not the handiest couple on the planet.

:)

Eventide

Hatchling Member
What about Craigslist? Depending on where you live, there are usually semi-frequent sales of used large aquaria for good prices.

Ambulance

Hatchling Member
I agree! check craigslist!
I got TWO 90 gallon tanks WITH stands for $200 all together off craigslist.

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Thank you so much for your replies and suggestions, especially because I'm sure this has probably been a well covered question around here.

We have been checking Craigslist daily and so far nothing quite right. You've given me hope that eventually something will come up. "Cloudy" is still a little guy, just 3+ months, but we started with such a small enclosure, and he's an active little guy. When we have him out of his terrarium, he loves to climb bed spread mountains, and is very curious about exploring the house. It would be nice to be able to get him up and going in something bigger in the next month or two.

Been looking for Mom and Pop type stores in our area, but have been surprised to have found nothing. We have a couple of franchise types that carry NOTHING, and of course, the corporate store that carries the 40 gallon, or alternatively the 55 gallon aquarium, which to me looks way too shallow (only foot wide). Our son wants to put his all into creating a lovely habitat for his beloved friend so we want to find something "just right." Truth be told, we're pretty mad for the guy ourselves and want him to have the best!

We'll keep on looking, and if it comes to it, build it ourselves... upon which much trial, error and swearing will occur I'm sure! :wink:

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom