Is 8 inches too close for a Reptisun 10.0 T5 HO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sauzo

Sub-Adult Member
As the title says, I'm wondering if it's too close. I'm used to T8s and from the research I did, most people are saying 10-12 inches for T5 and from a thread I found, a gal did some testing on them with a solarmeter and found at 8 inches with a reflector, the light put out 286 at 8 inches and 198 at 12 inches. Also lots of readings with reflectors through screens etc etc but my concern is unscreened with a reflector. The UV index at 12 inches was 4.7 which after checking the region bearded dragons come from, it reaches 11 UVI which I realize isn't what they would normally bask in but it gives an idea of the UVI they are from. So I'm figuring at 8 inches the UVI would be between 6-7 which should be a good range for bearded dragons as it means they need to spend less time "basking" to make D3. I read that the minimum UVI for reptiles to manufacture their own D3 is 4. As for the Harley "test", she loved it when i put it in and she just stretched out under it at 8 inches. I'm just wondering if anyone here has done any tests on the Reptisun 10.0 T5 HO or had first hand experience with distances on them as i don't want to possibly hurt her but i also figure if it was too much, she would wander to the other side of the cage as i only have it running half the cage and the other half is just regular light and cooler.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Have you looked at the uv meter owners group? They are a great resourceand have test reports for the popular bulbs. Their UVI measurement for the T5 reptisun 10.0 at 8" is 12.4. @12" it's 7.1 of course your mileage may vary. Different reflectors, fixtures and probably individual bulbs will add variation to the results. The test results for the Arcadia lights show a variation of almost 3 UVI just from different reflector/fixture combos.

Without a reflector I get 4.5@6" and 3.2@8". I also offer a warm hide so he can get out of the UVB but stay warm.
I'd be careful mounting it so close unless you have a meter.

The patch of sun method as describe by Dr. Barnes suggests a high uvb high heat zone (3-5 with max around 6-7 which is a reasonable "active time" index). Your plan sounds fine I would just be sure to adjust the distances to be a bit safer.

Sauzo

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Nice info Tater, thanks. I might raise it up a couple inches and remove the home made reflector then based on that info. Harley does have a shaded patch under her hammock which she can lay under if it gets too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom