introducing new baby beardy

Status
Not open for further replies.

barryd2008

Hi all i have had a baby beardy for about 5 weeks now his/her name is crinkle and shes great eating and growing well. Since i got crinkle i wanted to get anougher for company as i could not afford to get them both the same time i waited till now to get a partner for crinkle, so yesterday was the day i went to the same petshop and bought a dragon from the same batch i got crinkle from who i called crunch! :D I wernt sure how they were going to react being housed together so i kept a close eye on them. Crunch is brill dont seem stressed atall but crinkle on the other hand went dark in couler and puffed its self out including beard and started bobbing when all crunch would do is wave his arm slowly in circler motion they done this quite alot last nite and finally settled down a bit after lights out to go to sleep. when i got up this morning crinkle was on his branch and crunch was running round enjoying himself crinkle tho was still a dark couler and dosent seem its self there is no bobbing going on anymore jus crinkle puffing out its throat now and then but they have been running round together 2day and crinkle is getting brighter sometimes then it seems like its going in a strop goes up on its branch and lies there going dark again :/ will they get closer do u think??
thanks barry,harley,crink and crunch

Unknownhope

Hatchling Member
Dragons are solitary animals. They should never be housed together. You'll get this answer from every other person on this board.
When housed together they may fight and cause harm or death to another dragon.
They may also try to dominate the other dragon and not let the other eat or bask which can cause it to grow improperly, or die.
I'd get another enclosure as soon as possible and separate them before you end up taking one to the vet.

barryd2008

Original Poster
sorry but i totally disagree with you all here crinkle and crunch are best friends now doing everything together both are a lovely color and growing fast there appetites are awsum eating around 20-30 crickets a day with a few hoppers chucked in they love it :D

bhigginsjr88

Hatchling Member
sorry not being rude or anything but you have been warned. housing more than one beardie together 99% of the time usually goes horribly wrong.

barryd2008":yxpg53o0 said:
sorry but i totally disagree with you all here crinkle and crunch are best friends now doing everything together both are a lovely color and growing fast there appetites are awsum eating around 20-30 crickets a day with a few hoppers chucked in they love it :D

Not trying to be rude mate, but it may seem like they're best friends while they're young, as they will huddle together for warmth and such. But as they get older, they WILL fight. They will race for food, and might not let each other bask properly. They can get aggressive and harm each other, even if to you it seems like 'Play'. Please get them separate enclosures! Don't want to hear about the loves getting hurt.

bhigginsjr88

Hatchling Member
nicely said plasticmadedreams i totally agree. also while it looks like they're huddling together its actually a sign of one being dominate and the one on bottom wont be getting the need uv or correct basking temps. sorry for the bad news but you really should seperate them.

Thanks bhigginsjr88.

I wish they COULD live together, as it would be more convenient, but I'd rather them be safe than be housed together for my benefit.

bhigginsjr88

Hatchling Member
I wish they could be housed together too it would be so awesome but not worth the risk of death. I feel its extremely cruel to put them through all that stress IMO.

bhigginsjr88":18s1gjan said:
I wish they could be housed together too it would be so awesome but not worth the risk of death. I feel its extremely cruel to put them through all that stress IMO.

I couldn't agree more. They say you can house females together, but even then there is risk. If you can't properly take care of them you shouldn't have them IMO. It's not fair to them. I saw my Athena at the pet store in an enclosure with 17 OTHERS. She was being bullied and had a broken foot already, so I adopted her. I couldn't stand seeing them all cramped up like that.

And to barryd2008, that adorable little waving motion they do? Well, it's a sign of dominance. And if your other dragon is getting darking and puffing, it's stressed out. Sometimes, if you think it's all cleared up because he's gone back to his original color, that may just mean that he's now being submissive and your other beardie proved dominant. Beardies are considered 'beginner' reptiles, but you still need to take care when learning how to properly raise them.

bhigginsjr88":3pdnfv46 said:
you know i like you. you know your beardies lol

Haha thanks. :)
I'm just a huge animal lover, and I take pride in their care. If an animal was to come to harm due to my negligance, I wouldn't be able to stand it. I'm the kind of person who cries like a baby if a fish dies. Haha.

Same here mate.
Half of the pets I had growing up were rescues, or ones I found hurt and begged me mum to let me keep.
I would just assume wreck my car than to hit something even as small as a squirrel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
syddersspams
Top Bottom