Introducing my two dragons and need help saving the youngest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wyckednick

Hello everyone I have a few things I would like to talk about, but first let me introduce my dragons.

1487269_467885653322049_481333452_n.jpg

This big guy is Dagon. Not sure how old he is, I'm thinking about six years, I've had him for five.He looks all posed and energetic in this picture, but right now he's going through brumantation, so he's been hiding under his log lately.

e993b39c5dfa8bec0aeb36248c1bd3a2.jpg

This little guy or girl is what I actually need some help on. The story goes that a friend of mines sister had a bearded dragon that died and in her grief bought the little guy above. The thing is that she quickly decided she didn't want it anymore and left it at her parents, for them to take care of.
Now her parents are animal lovers, but don't know thing one about reptiles, so when I saw the cage he was being kept in I was kinda shocked. The cage was 55 gal with no lights except a little halogen light in a small dome; luckily the house was kept warm, but he wasn't getting any UV light. There was also nothing for him to climb on and the cage hadn't been cleaned in a while.
I hadn't planned on getting another dragon until after Dagon died, but I realized after seeing the conditions this one was being kept in he would likely die, so I decided to adopt it. Apparently its over a year old, but only measures 7 inches and is very skinny and frail. He does have energy and isn't lethargic, but he always hides in his cage and won't climb anything I have for him. I haven't seen him bask yet and won't go under the UV light or heat lamp, he seems very scared to leave the bottom of the tank.
There does seem to be some slight deformation on his toes, nothing serious though. His nose also looks a bit funny. What I'm most worried about is how stunted his growth seems. For being a year old he is very small and while I keep calling it "he" I'm not really sure what sex it is because of its lack of development.
I have his cage set up with a uv light, heat lamp and a night time inferred light. There is no sand, just the glass bottom of the cage, I plan on putting tile down later. He has some branches to climb on to get under the lights, but doesn't want to use them, I might have to come up with something else.
I would really like some advice on this, as I would really like it to grow big and strong like Dagon and frankly would be pretty sad if it died.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. What kind of uvb are you using? Coil/compact or Tube? What brand? If your lightis red turn it off it disturbs their sleep. As long as your house does not get below 65 at night he'll be fine. Do you dust his feeders with calcium and vitamins? You may want to get some liquid calcium as that is easier for their body to absorb. Thank you for taking him in :) hopefully he'll flourish with the proper husbandry.

DixieLonestar20x

Hatchling Member
Does he show much interest in eating? I tried to bring back a beardie that was not being properly taken care of. He kind of came from the same situation. He wasn't left, but he was bought by someone who 1)didn't buy ANYTHING for him except a 10 gallon terrarium and 1 red heat lamp and 2)lost interest quick so he wasn't getting the proper diet or anything. He would not eat at all and did nothing but hide when I put him in a my temporary tank. I slowly got him to eat but he only made it 12 days with me. He was just too far gone when I got him and no matter what I done hope was very very slim with him...

I would take Brittani's advice as the person she is pointing you towards is quite educated!

I wish you the best of luck with the little fella.

- Justin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom