Introducing dragons

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueMorpho

Juvie Member
Those of you who have followed my Striker and Eri thread, you already know lots about my babies. For those who haven't, I have two dragons, Striker, a two-year old female, and Eri, a year and a half old male. Eri has had a history of aggression, but seems to be finally growing out of it.
I have introduced them through the glass of the tank on occasion, usually accidentally. When they see each other they both beard up and start head-bobbing. I'm wanting to eventually be able to have them both out at the same time, supervised, of course, but avoid fights. I don't intend to ever mate them (as I refer to them as "brother" and "sister").
Today I had Striker hang out in front of Eri's tank for about 15mins, there was head bobs on both sides, but no outright attacks. Not even a black beard. Eri stayed very calm, but Striker seemed to very much want inside the tank. I'm just not sure about having them both out and within reaching distance of each other.
I'd just like to be able to have them in the same room, possibly both on my bed, at the same time without anyone getting hurt.
Is this possible?
If so, how do I introduce them safely?
*edit:
The tanks are directly beside each other, but I have a divider between them. Could I possibly remove the divider until they're accustomed to each other?

zandi202

BD.org Addict
Personally, since one is male and the other is female, I wouldn't allow them out together as they are both sexually mature and it doesn't take like for the baby making to happen. You'd have to be faster than Eri's hormones.

As for taking down the divider between their vivs I wouldn't. Their vivs are their space and whereas they might be "okay" in a mutual territory, seeing each other "in their territory" (even though they wouldn't actually be there, they could perceive it as that) could raise stress. I mean, my beardie Jace who is a year and half old still goes after his own reflection never mind how ballistic he goes when he sees Sorin or Zy in front of his viv. He "might" do well with them in a more public/communal area, but I don't feel comfortable taking the risk that he won't impregnate Zy or kill Sorin. Now, if Eri was a female, that would be a different story as females have worked out before though not always and still uncommon.

I used to have Jace and Zy's vivs next to each other without a divider and both did not thrive well. They were constantly stressed about the other and wouldn't eat because they were too preoccupied with the other.

Also, territorial beardies are a little different. Jace is territorial of his viv and will do whatever it takes to protect it. Zy doesn't care as much and I found that putting Sorin or Jace in front of it and she could care less. Maybe Eri isn't as territorial over his pad (though it used to be Striker's old one (correct?) so it could be he doesn't feel that he owns it yet) as Striker is so he doesn't feel the need to defend it. Now if Striker was in their home and Eri was in front of it could be a totally different matter.

In the end, it is your choice. Good luck and I hope Eri starts to behave like a little gentleman for you.

BlueMorpho

Juvie Member
Original Poster
"You'd have to be faster than Eri's hormones"
LOL!! You're right; and he's pretty quick. I definitely don't want babies any time soon!
Yes, it was Striker's tank only a couple weeks ago, and you may be on to something about him not "owning" it yet, as he's no where near as aggressive when I go to retrieve him or pet him in the tank (not that I mind at all...).
Thanks Liz! :)

zandi202

BD.org Addict
You're welcome, glad I could help.

I'm glad you got a laugh out of that line, was hoping you would. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom