Introducing Beebz

Axil

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
He has character for days lol. It IS amazing how well they can hang on. (Looks like he wanted to be spidermanl lol) We have started calling Sinatra velcro boy because it usually takes both of us to detach him from our clothing 😄.
Omg I couldn't believe how tight he could hold on with one toe. I was starting to think I'd have to cut the screen to get him down. Eventually I managed to catch him adjusting his grip and move him away.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
He thinks that was an under handed sneaky trick to play on him lmao 🤣

Axil

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
Beebz's order of bugs came today. We had an argument over how he was going to eat his BSFL. He loves BSFL and hasn't had any for a while since the last batch went off. I wanted him to get off his basking rock and eat. He wanted me to put them in his mouth. :cautious:

I try to lure him to the bowl. I feed him one then make a show of putting them in the bowl... Beebz looks at the bowl, he knows where they are, he wants me to get them for him. I drop one at the base of the basking platform.. He makes a show of thinking about going to get it.. stretches towards it a bit. Then looks back at me. He does not want to get down.

So I decided I'll get him down and place him next to the bowl. He clings to his rock and then runs to the back of his enclosure to put his face against the back wall to sulk.

I show him one of his new hornworms and he runs to eat it out of the bowl.. I barely even manage to get it into the bowl before he storms in there and chomps it. He is not lethargic. Not even lazy, but man is he stubborn. He looks at the BSFL.. looks at me. We have a staring contest for about 5 minutes.

20230601_194744.jpg

*sigh* I took the worms out of the bowl one by one and put them in his mouth. I think I may created a have slightly spoiled the dragon. :mad:

In my defense he is very persuasive!!

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
It's an easy trap to fall into lmao 🤣

Axil

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
Poor Beebz is shedding again and not happy about it.
20230605_113853.jpg

I weighed him a couple days ago:
20230602_192453.jpg

At 392 and given his eating had slowed anyway I'm moving him to just 1 meal a day. He is still hit or miss with roaches. He had been really good with his greens and loves the bsfl.

He's also decided he only poops every other day now which stresses me but I guess is probably normal since he's getting older/larger.

The past few days whenever I take him out he will "gape"
20230605_181453.jpg

He's freaking huge now, I tried to get a shot of him on my arm but couldn't get his whole body in the frame.
20230605_182039.jpg

The tip of his tail is beyond my fingertips. Last I measured him he was 19in but I think he's bigger now. He likes to keep his tail curled and run around any time I get the measuring tape.

At the end of the week I'll be out of town for a week and a half. The wife will be taking care of him then so she's been the giver of hornworms for the past couple days. Then he'll be on his own for one day.

*edit* Beebz insisted I include one more "I'm shedding, feel bad for me" pic:
20230605_192410.jpg

Last edited:

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
You weighed him IN his food bowl lmao 🤣

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
oh those go go boots and debutante gloves! sir henry's right there with ya. just finished the face shed. and that looks like what is coming next

Axil

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
You weighed him IN his food bowl lmao 🤣
Yeah he doesn't like how slick the scale is and the bowl is huge and always handy :p .
oh those go go boots and debutante gloves! sir henry's right there with ya. just finished the face shed. and that looks like what is coming next
Yeah, face and feets seem to be the order of the day. Looks like his tail well come next then he'll probably do the rest all at once unless he decides to break with tradition and suprise me.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
it's so hit and miss when they get older as to which area it will be next. gone are the days of full body sheds!

RoseProud

Beebz's order of bugs came today. We had an argument over how he was going to eat his BSFL. He loves BSFL and hasn't had any for a while since the last batch went off. I wanted him to get off his basking rock and eat. He wanted me to put them in his mouth. :cautious:

I try to lure him to the bowl. I feed him one then make a show of putting them in the bowl... Beebz looks at the bowl, he knows where they are, he wants me to get them for him. I drop one at the base of the basking platform.. He makes a show of thinking about going to get it.. stretches towards it a bit. Then looks back at me. He does not want to get down.

So I decided I'll get him down and place him next to the bowl. He clings to his rock and then runs to the back of his enclosure to put his face against the back wall to sulk.

I show him one of his new hornworms and he runs to eat it out of the bowl.. I barely even manage to get it into the bowl before he storms in there and chomps it. He is not lethargic. Not even lazy, but man is he stubborn. He looks at the BSFL.. looks at me. We have a staring contest for about 5 minutes.

View attachment 80939
*sigh* I took the worms out of the bowl one by one and put them in his mouth. I think I may created a have slightly spoiled the dragon. :mad:

In my defense he is very persuasive!!
Hi to all members.
My name is Jessica Rose and em new here. I join this forum to share and discuss.
I must say this is very much cute Beebz.

Axil

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
It's been a while since I've had time to update. Between vacation and half my pool equipment deciding to crap out. My daughter has taken over most of Beebz feedings as of late and I've missed my little buddy but he's still spoiled and still growing.

I had some time to take him out today and he sat on my lap and chilled for a bit. Then was finally able to weigh him but wasn't able to get him completely on the scale, even with some of his tail on the ground he clocked in at 518g. He's been down to once a day feedings for about a month now and I guess that's proof he's still eating plenty.

At some point I'll try to get a new length, but he's huge. It's hard to believe he and the tiny thing we brought home from the petshop are the same critter.

20230629_122856.jpg

I didn't get any new pictures today this is from about a week ago. Hopefully he doesn't figure out how to unscrew that gasket!

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Wow he is a mighty dragon 🐉 now lol.
It's unbelievable how fast they grow. I swear i think if you watched close you could see it happening lol.

Axil

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
Man the summer flew by. Poor Beebz didn't get as spoiled as he deserves through all of it, but he's been a good sport is getting more time out of the enclosure again as I've not been so freakin' busy.

We did manage a couple trips in his carrier/tent while the weather was nice.
1000004879.jpg

He was last weighed a few weeks ago
1000004850.jpg
unfortunately I wasn't able to get his whole tail off the ground since he's so big now so the 638g is probably shorting him ~10-20g. Either way it was great to know he's still growing since his eating has been hit or miss over the summer. He's also grown to ~22-23" long.
1000004898.jpg

Sometimes he'll go through a two or three day spell where he just won't eat roaches and occasionally less frequently also refuses superworms. He has never refused a hornworm. I think I'd take him straight to the vet if he did.

He also goes to the bathroom a lot less which of course makes sense but still manages to stress me when it hits the 1 week mark.

Sometimes I worry he's gotten dehydrated as he never ever drinks anything besides what he gets in his salads and hornworms but his stool is always and moist so I guess be gets what he needs.

We went on vacation recently and I was stressed as of course he decided he wasn't going to eat anything the two days prior to us leaving. The pet sitter was great and reported he eat his roaches every day except one which suprised me as he hadn't had a week that consistent for me in like a month!

The daily salad servings we prepared before we left held up so well I've started preparing them that way even when we're home as it's much easier to do them all at once.
1000004912.jpg

Beebz got a new order of bugs in today and seemed to have a nice time supervising thier unpacking.
1000005029.jpg
1000005033.jpg

He was a lot more active in his enclosure afterwards and I need to do better giving him more opportunities to explore as I really do see positive changes in his behavior when he does.
1000005034.jpg

Since the house has cooled down a bit from the height of summer I think his heat gradient has gotten a bit screwy. His basking temps are good but there isn't much of a gradient. I flipped back on the second heat lamp I used last winter and hopefully that'll give him more warm places to hang out without overheating the tank. I'll have to annoy him by replacing the probe he loves kicking off the basking area to keep an eye on it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fortin28
Top Bottom