Introducing Beebz

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Wow great update. He's all grown up now. Still a very handsome dude to.

Axil

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
He's all grown up now.
Bite your tongue! The care sheets say I don't have to accept the fact he's an adult until he's 18mo. He's still my little Juvy even if he is off those same caresheets charts for length and weight. :ROFLMAO:

But in all serious, thanks. Both for the compliment and all your advice on his care.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Your very welcome 🙂
He looks wonderful, you've done great with him. There so many we see that's in bad shape it's refreshing to see the ones that thrive.

Lyrebird.Rainwing

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Swordtail
(Sorry for replying so late in this discussion) That attached photo- is the beardie splooting- on the wall??
It seems Beebz has reached a new level of sploot, vertical sploot!

Axil

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
(Sorry for replying so late in this discussion) That attached photo- is the beardie splooting- on the wall??
It seems Beebz has reached a new level of sploot, vertical sploot!
I think you're talking about the pic in post #148.

He was actually going through a "glass surfing" phase, though of course his enclosure walls aren't glass.

He would try to climb the wall and end up just flailing his goofy little arms around. Then he'd get tired and just chill there for a bit before either continuing his attempt to climb the perfectly smooth wall or deciding to do something else. That's when I got the picture.

He did that for a few weeks then apparently decided it wasn't fun/necessary anymore.

He is now back to his lazy self moving from his bask to the hammock to the food bowl and recently resting in his hide that he pretended didn't exist for the first few months it was in there.
20230913_183128.jpg

Lyrebird.Rainwing

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Swordtail
I think you're talking about the pic in post #148.

He was actually going through a "glass surfing" phase, though of course his enclosure walls aren't glass.

He would try to climb the wall and end up just flailing his goofy little arms around. Then he'd get tired and just chill there for a bit before either continuing his attempt to climb the perfectly smooth wall or deciding to do something else. That's when I got the picture.

He did that for a few weeks then apparently decided it wasn't fun/necessary anymore.

He is now back to his lazy self moving from his bask to the hammock to the food bowl and recently resting in his hide that he pretended didn't exist for the first few months it was in there.
View attachment 83906
I was talking about the image in the original post actually

Axil

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
I was talking about the image in the original post actually
Ooooh!

That makes sense, I had totally forgotten about that picture.

Yes he used to love to press himself into the foam wall in his little 15g enclosure when he was a baby.

Sometimes he'd sleep like that.

Axil

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
It's a very sunny day today so Beebz and I are taking advantage for a bit.
1000005044.jpg
1000005046.jpg

Actually I'm sitting in the shade because I'm not really the basking type :p

After temps are only 73 but after 10 min or so his thermometer is already reading 96 in the sun so ill probably have to find a nice spot where his carrier is partially shaded soon.

He's expressing his excitement in his usual fashion by keeping perfectly still apart from the occasional head movement.

Axil

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
That's terrific enrichment for them 😀
I figured he ought to enjoy it but sometimes I sure wish he would *do* something so show me he is indeed being "enriched".

His coloring did look a hit brighter to me when he got back in the enclosure so hopefully he had a good time
1000005048.jpg

1000005049.jpg

I offered him a piece of salad as an after adventure refreshment. I got a dirty look but he ate it when he thought I wasn't looking.

He's been a bit more sulky than usual lately so I'm hoping the increased enclosure temps will perk him up a bit. Yesterday he went straight to his hide after eating without basking and a couple days ago I pulled him out since he hadn't come out all day.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
They do get like that sometimes. My girlfriends girl Ruby gets bored with her setup and sulks. I can rearrange it even just a little and she's fine for a while. Chomp used to be like that also.

Axil

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
They do get like that sometimes. My girlfriends girl Ruby gets bored with her setup and sulks. I can rearrange it even just a little and she's fine for a while. Chomp used to be like that also.
Missed this post earlier somehow. Hmm, maybe he does need a renovation.

He's now undergoing a major shed top so in sure that's contributing. He was never a super active guy but I hate to think he's unhappy/bored all the time.

Also been thinking about getting a little "cat tent" to get him time out of there more often. It has been... challenging to get my daughter to keep her room clean enough that he can roam around without worrying about what he could get into.

Last edited:

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Some of mine enjoys being in the window, if you can move him so he can see out that might perk him up.🙂 just got to be careful with not overheating him.

Axil

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
Some of mine enjoys being in the window, if you can move him so he can see out that might perk him up.🙂 just got to be careful with not overheating him.
I've been trying to figure out a good window solution for him. The one in my daughter's room isn't really convenient to sit him up on. The one time we tried to when he was a little guy he climbed the screen and held on like his life depended on it while i spent 15 minutes trying to remove him without leaving any toes attached.

There are a couple lower ones in the master bedroom that might work if can figure out a good way to get a perch under it for him.. then remember to put everything back afterwards so my wife doesn't throw me out it!

he spent nearly an hour running around the master bathroom today, and seemed to have a ton of fun. The only thing that's tough on him is he slips like crazy on the faux wood floors that cover most of our house. He gets up to speed going across the rug then looks like me trying to ice-skate once he hits the floor.

I worry a little about his poor joints when he does that but it obviously doesn't bother him enough to stop him from doing it over and over again. I think he got more exercise today than he has in the last couple months.

A cat tent wouldn't really let him do the things he likes to either. When given the opportunity if the mood hit's him right he'll sprint 20 feet back and forth. Which makes me happy because he's so slow and deliberate in his enclosure sometimes i worry he's ill.

*edit* Oh, and i got a new weight. 665 though he still refused to get his tail all the way off the ground. I think i got almost all the weight off it by repeatedly gently lifting it and letting it settle though. He was totally happy to hold it up while he was doing his wind sprints, but of course refused on the scale.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom