Introducing Beardie to Dog - Need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I'm a new owner, so I know I have "first child syndrome" in that I'm pretty over-protective of my lil lizard baby. I also own a 110 lb. pit-bull/mastiff named Brutus who is a very affectionate dog without a mean bone in his body, but hyper-active and extremely playful. So far, I have not allowed them to be in the same room if Sirrush (the lizard) is out of his viv. I want Brutus and Sirrush to be friends some day, but I have no idea how they will interact with each other. Does anyone have any advice about how to introduce them to each other, and at what age? Can a dog and a beardie ever be friends?
Also, Brutus looooves to watch Sirrush's enclosure, particularly during feeding which he seems to think is action-movie epic. Do you think this is terrifying to Sirrush? He sometimes freezes up when he sees Brutus, but has never displayed aggression at him.

MadEpiphany

Original Poster
brute.jpg

This is Brutus watching Sirrush. Note the complete fixation on a dog that never focuses for more than 3 seconds on anything that isn't peanut butter.

Gail

BD.org Addict
The intensity of that stare concerns me, the only time I've seen my dogs look at things like that was before they tried to eat it. I would discourage that dog from becoming transfixed on the dragon. If he can learn to ignore the dragons quick movements then you will have a better change at a safe interaction. Regardless of how mellow a dog is, the quick movements of a small lizard can cause their instincts to kick in and it only takes a second for disaster.
I'd wait until the dragon is at least 12" or even larger before introduction. Hold dragon in your hands with just the tail tip showing and let dog smell tail. I did this with my daughter dog recently and it was a good thing, he was very mellow until the second he decided to snap and try to eat Jupiter. If it would have been face to face, jupiter could have been killed.
Personally, I'm not one who thinks lizards and other pets should really interact. I've seen too many instances where the family pet who "loves" the dragon and is buddies with it, inflicted damage. I've only ever had one dog I trusted with my dragons who coincidentally, was a 115 lb pit/rott mix and the mellowest dog in creation.

MadEpiphany

Original Poster
Thank you, that seems like good advice. It does occur to me that maybe the reason Brutus watches Sirrush like peanut-butter is because he is wondering if that is what he tastes like.

mrstuart75

Hatchling Member
my dogs were very curious about our dragon too...but the more I carried her around and ignored them, the more they know when Ormie comes out, they go lay down. I never put the dragon on the same level as the dogs' eyes, only above them and me holding her...I'd rather be safe than sorry!

squirell

Hatchling Member
I just moved and brought Mushu face to face with my uncles dog. Both handled it well. My uncles dog actually gave Mushu a little lick right on the tip of his nose. HAHA. Mushu didnt puff up or stick his beard out at him. Hopefully they will be fine together and will never be alone together. Rufus (my uncles dog) is not allowed in my room..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom