Interesting Way to Make Rock Decor

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJD

Original Poster
I know right?? If you mold it right, you could make some pretty cool stuff!

andrewsenes

PLEASE PLEASE update us after you give it a try in your beardie tank! This seems like you could be much more creative and seems much easier that the foam and grout method!
Very cool!
-Andrew

AJD

Original Poster
Finally got the time to make it! I followed the video mostly. I didn't warm up the milk, and I thought it was because I was using skim that it wasn't working; I then turned to whole. I then remembered to warm it up after :oops: so skim COULD work. I just show you what I did by pictures. I added food coloring to give it a desert rock look; didn't really work :lol:

Beginning Materials-Milk, measuring cup, plastic cup, spoon, wire strainer, and paper towels.
IMAG0081.jpg

Vinegar into milk (1st attempt)
IMAG0082.jpg

Failed attempt w/ skim. Nothing but foam
IMAG0083.jpg

Attempt with warmed whole milk
IMAG0084.jpg

Success!
IMAG0085.jpg

Straining (food coloring added here)
IMAG0086.jpg

End product. (This is a mini version of what I want to make. This is from a 1-cup batch)
IMAG0087.jpg

Ill post a video on the strength once it dries. But I want to make a larger version soon after. Ill post pictures of THAT once its done.

Feel free to ask questions! :mrgreen:
-Ayden

SpitFyre

Sub-Adult Member
That's cool! I've been wanting to do a tree... like take some mopani or grape or somthing, then build off of it so it's the shape you want, sand, stain, and paint. Give my Yoshi a little privacy and a nice high basking spot. This opens up so many more options than the foam. Plus, no little Styrofoam beads to find weeks afterwards:) Thanks for posting this, you rock!
-Barbara

AJD

Original Poster
If you plan on making a a tree, I would suggest buying a 2 gal jug of milk and use that :lol: The yield of 1 cup isn't that much to begin with! You're welcome!
-Ayden

SpitFyre

Sub-Adult Member
I made a sample! First when I tried it, it was all crumbly and wouldn't stick together without a lot of pressure (i.e.- me standing on it:) I put it in a makeshift mold, a cup bottom, to give it a shape, like the guy in the video. To finish up the milk, I made a quarter-cup batch, and heated the milk(accidentally) a little more than I intended. That yielded a more puttylike material. Curious, I then reheated my big batch, the one I molded, and lo and behold!!! It was really easy to mold!!! It turned out looking like pizza dough. Maybe I can make a necklace or something out of this...I'll see how it turns out and let you all know!!! :D
-Barbara :D

SpitFyre

Sub-Adult Member
Yeah! It's drying... Seems a lot more like plastic. It's different from the vid's results... It started out that way, though. Thanks for the tips! Sorry to hijack. :D I'll post pics when it's dry!

AJD

Original Poster
Don't worry, I don't care if you use the idea. I put it on here for a reason :mrgreen: . Waiting for a jug milk to get past its date, and then ill make a BIG batch. Upgrading RJ's viv soon too, so this method could come into play

SpitFyre

Sub-Adult Member
Ok-Here's a pic of it so far. It's really hard around the edges, and softer in the middle.
IMG_1082.jpg
*EDIT*- It's now completely hard. It's not stonelike, as in the video, but more like plastic.
-Barbara

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom