Installing Tile

Status
Not open for further replies.

whispersinmyhead

Hatchling Member
I have decided that I want to grout tile into the viv permanently. It will work best for me for cleaning. I have loose ones now but in the viv I am building I want to grout them. I just don't know what is best. Should I use an adhesive of some sort? (Brand? Type?)
Should I use grout to hold the tiles down as well as filling the gaps?

How rough does the tile need to be. I have very rough tiles now but his nails are worn down to next to nothing. I am hoping that it just needs to be a little bit of texture. I am using some now that are almost like sand paper surface. Also hard to clean. A textured ceramic seems like a good fit but any ideas/recommendations are welcome.

Thanks.

MrWhite

Sub-Adult Member
whispersinmyhead":2sumucpy said:
I have decided that I want to grout tile into the viv permanently. It will work best for me for cleaning. I have loose ones now but in the viv I am building I want to grout them. I just don't know what is best. Should I use an adhesive of some sort? (Brand? Type?)
Should I use grout to hold the tiles down as well as filling the gaps?

How rough does the tile need to be. I have very rough tiles now but his nails are worn down to next to nothing. I am hoping that it just needs to be a little bit of texture. I am using some now that are almost like sand paper surface. Also hard to clean. A textured ceramic seems like a good fit but any ideas/recommendations are welcome.

Thanks.

you would treat the tiles as if you were laying them down on a regular floor. you can use mastic adhesive or thin set mortar to stick them down and then use grout to fill the seams. you can use non-sanded grout is the space between the tiles are 1/8" or less, sanded grout for wider spaces. if you use a standard grout, I'm pretty sure you need to seal the grout as grout is porus.

whispersinmyhead

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks! That sounds great. I think I will use nonsanded grout. I am a ways off from this step but I want to get this tank right. Thanks for the help. Any prefference for type of tole or will any textured tile do?

WyattKB

Hatchling Member
What I did in my homemade viv was first put mortar down on the bottom of the tank then right away put the tile down... Let it dry for a day then use grout around cracks. Again, let it settle for 24 hours. I also sealed up the tiles with generic non toxic tile sealer, you can get it at home depot. Super easy to clean... Just hard to keep tile warm lol had to buy a CHE yesterday for the night!
SAM_0752.jpg

SAM_0754.jpg

SAM_0758.jpg

finished product grouted & sealed:
SAM_1128.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom