Infrared Laser Thermometer

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReptileGuardian

Hatchling Member
Okay, I was thinking that I'd like to purchase one of those Infrared Thermometers to give me a more accurate reading on basking areas. So I was just wondering on which brands are good to look at buying and how reliable they are for their accuracy. Any info would be much appreciated!

BadCon

Sub-Adult Member
Reliability for IR temp guns is typically vary good. However, the color of the surface will have an impact on the readings...with a solid black surface returning the most accurate readings, and shiny or light colored surfaces being less accurate. Starting at about $30, you'll find IR guns with an adjustable emissivity level...so you can tailor the gun to the surface you are taking readings off of. Additionally, you'll want to look at the distance to spot ratio of the gun you'll be using. The larger the distance to spot ratio, the farther away you can take readings and the more accurate the gun will be when reading from a given spot. For example, a gun with a 15:1 D to S ratio will cast a 1" "read" spot from 15" away. Meaning from 15" away the temperature the gun is displaying is the average temp across a 1" diameter circle. If you want more accurate readings of a smaller spot, you'll need to move the gun closer. For herp owner use, the D:S ratio, or field of view, doesn't matter all that much, as you can typically get the gun close to the measuring spot.

As for reliable brands, its hit or miss. Lots of these things are being made in china now, and there are tons and tons of cheap ones out there. Does this really matter in the end? Probably not...as its duty cycle won't be so strenuous that it will break. I personally own a Sixth Sense LT300, and its a great gun. A bit pricey, but Sixth Sense is a very good brand...and these things have lots of uses outside of basking spot readings. But for something cheaper, you can pick up a small unit from several reptile websites for around $25....though a quick browse through google will return options with more features for around the same money. I can't make any specific recommendations however, as I simply haven't used all that many brands. One with a laser pointer is very nice, as it lets you know exactly where you are taking readings from.

Denduran87

Juvie Member
zoomed makes a nice little pocket one for like 20-30 bucks and has some great reviews. I would order online and get the best deal. I wouldn't imagine one being off any more than 1-2 degrees though.

I have an Omega OS532E at work is is one of the best on the market (it better be for the price tag, $600 ) I would never recommend one like this the reasons for the cost are not something that a casual user would need or even mess with. My point is however the accuracy (aside from emissivity) is as good as the cheaper models is 1% or 1ºC up or down. (just shy of 2ºF) keep that in mind when using them it is very easy to measure a object that is shiny and the gun to be one or 2 degrees high or low and then add the error in calibrated surface (most user models are calibrated to 0.9) can be quite high 3-5 ºF from correct.

Here is a chart of common emissivity

Like all tools they work really well and are very useful as long as you keep in mind its limitations.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/emissivity-coefficients-d_447.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom