Incubator question

Status
Not open for further replies.

rottnbull02

Hatchling Member
We are waiting on eggs and have a wine cooler all set up temp holding at 84 degrees. My question is what is the ambient humidity of the incubator supposed to be? I have read 80% and have read not to worry about it just keep the vermiculite moist. What do you do and why?

Thank you,
Stephanie

midnight_962002

Sub-Adult Member
Stephanie,

I to use a wine cooler converted for my incubator. Here is what I do.

The egg bins should be moist already. I use a shoe box sized container per clutch. I could get 30 eggs per container. Moist vermeculite at the bottom about 1" deep. Once the eggs are situated I place the lid on it. I have 3 holes drilled that are about 1/8" in diameter. These wholes allow for the air interchange.

As for the humidiy in the incubator. I take an additional container same as the one for the eggs and fill it with water. This is place about 6" above the heating element and fan. The fan blows accross the heating element to circulate the hot air. This gets me humidity readings in the upper 80's. One container of water should last about the whole time the eggs are in the incubator. Providing you don't open the door all the time.

Hope that helps

Ernie

rottnbull02

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi Ernie,

Thank you. We were stressing because the ambient humidity is at 80% - 84%. When we open the door it goes down to about 75% - 79% depending on what it was before we opened, and how long it is open. Again thank you, I think we are just stressing to much. :mrgreen:

Stephanie

sparky5969

Hatchling Member
Hi I wouldn't worry to much. I have my eggs in tupperware container with good fitting lid, they are on moist vermiculite and the humidity inside the container stays close to 100% usually between 90-100% inside the container. I don't use any additional humidity source and have 100% hatch rate. I also use a fridge turned into an incubator. Also have my thermostat prob inside the container keeping them within .03 degrees of 84.0. As long as they are in a container with good seal there should be enough moister to get proper humidity levels. I don't put holes in my containers just open them once a week and have never had any problems. Hope this helps.

Pat J

rottnbull02

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you everyone. I am feeling a little better. My humidity is staying between 75-85 now. :mrgreen:

midnight_962002

Sub-Adult Member
Stephanie,

I wouldn't worry about it. If you keep the lid on the containers the inside of your containers won't fluctuate as much as the outside of the containers. If they are clear and you look closely you should be able to see condensation forming below the line of the vermiculite. That should always be present. They will be little water droplets. If you start seeing them higher than that you need more holes in the lid.

Ernie

rottnbull02

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok so what if I see condensation one day but not the next? Does that mean I need to add a bit of water to the vermeculite? Also should the eggs stay soft, or do they turn hard like chicken eggs?

midnight_962002

Sub-Adult Member
Stephanie,

The more you make adjustments to the eggs the harder it is going to be to get them to hatch. If you see condensation one day and the levels in the incubator haven't changed I wouldn't worry about it. So long as the eggs don't start to colapse. I try to open my incubator as little as possible. Once the eggs start to hatch I pull the container out and put it in an older one that I keep on hand. So I don't have to disturb the other eggs in the incubator.

Ernie

rottnbull02

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So do you add water to the vermeculite at all during the incubating period? I read that you should so I was wondering when. So far we have not touched them, we have left them alone.

Again thank you and everyone else for your help and input.

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
It should be moist from the start!! But if the humidity drops down any more and you cant get it back up then yes you can use a dropper and add water to it and not on the eggs at all!!

Lance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anastasiacolson
Top Bottom